E L E V E N

word count: 2, 782
pages (paging mode): 20
warnings: intense if you squint

Saturday, November 21st
7:27 PM
location: base entryway, underground.
mae

The dress was far flashier than anything I'd ever worn before.

It was very pretty though; a high-necked, long-sleeved, fitted black silk creation that had a deliberate slit up my left leg, and the tailored cuffs were lined with what looked like diamonds.

The jewels sparkled when the light caught them- something I'd noticed in the mirror while sweeping on a choice lipstick. Sani, having been the sender of the elaborate outfit, included a deadly-looking pair of silver heels, and when I slipped them on I was certain that this mission could not include any running.

I did one last check in the mirror, toying with the complicated wispy updo I'd perfected with my hair before answering the knock on the door.

"Are you re- whoa." Mark stopped mid sentence, eyes blown wide and staring at the dress.

Or was it me he was staring at?

I scanned his own apparel, reminding myself to keep my jaw shut when I took in the black suit and white buttoned shirt he wore, with some nicely creased dress slacks and no holsters anywhere in sight.
His dark brown hair, usually hanging in his eyes, was swept back in some fashion that magically stayed in place, and he looked good- far beyond handsome.

So good, in fact, that I almost missed his next words.

"...you look absolutely stunning, Mae. Radiant, even." He managed eventually. I ducked my head slightly, wine colored lips pulling up in a smile.

"You clean up nicely too, Ace." I did my best to hide the blush rising to my cheeks.

Mark offered me his arm, and I gladly took it, letting him walk me down to the main hall to meet everyone else.
On the way, I had a hard time trying not to stare at him, completely unused to seeing him in anything other than mission gear, training clothes, or pajamas.

I snapped out of it when we arrived at the room.

All of Dream and U were in gear, with Jisung standing out in his high fashion suit and tie, a false security badge pinned to the jacket and professional sunglasses dangling from his back pocket, where I believed I saw the lumpy outline of a hand pistol.

I noticed a few members of 127 in gear as well: Johnny, WinWin, and Yuta were helping hand out cartridges or magazines to everyone, and checking straps on weapons and holsters.
While the artillery made me nervous, Mark's arm looped with mine eased it a little.

Taeyong strode into the chaos, though he wore a black hoodie and his usual ripped jeans instead of gear and leather jackets.
"Alright you goons, let's get going and get this mission over with." He called out, momentarily seeming less like an authoritative leader and more like a tiresome older brother.

"Haechan is already waiting with the van outside, and our techies are all set to run things smoothly. Don't die and good luck, you guys." Taeyong told them.

"We'll do our best, hyung!" Jaemin said with a lopsided grin, his bright demeanor completely contrasting his dark getup.
Taeyong rolled his eyes, "Okay, we get it, now go kick some rival butt."

I retracted my arm from Mark's, causing him to turn towards me.
"I'm really torn right now, Mae," He chuckled uneasily.
I inched a little closer, waiting for him to go on.

"Half of me is happy you're going on your first solo mission, and I know you'll do well. But the other half of me doesn't want to let you out of my sight, because I know you'll be in danger, and I want to keep you safe at all costs."
He was fidgeting with his hands as he spoke, and I reached out to take one of them in mine, holding it once more.