F I F T E E N

word count: 4, 766 wow
pages (paging mode): 31 also wow
warnings: casual language, some romance (ooh la la)
***

January 8, 3:15 pm
location: industrial security center, territory x.
mae

At least I didn't have to wear a dress.

I stuck my hands into the pockets of my jeans to stop the trembling, swallowing the fear that this might go terribly, horribly wrong.

"Is everyone in place?" I heard Ten's voice in my ear.

My hair had been straightened thanks to Sani- who had spent the morning helping me prep for the mission- and it now hung down halfway to my waist, perfectly concealing the earpiece I wore.

I adjusted the hallyu band tee out of nervous habit, listening as everyone gave their locations through the mics.

This mission would be especially dangerous for me; Not only would I be talking to the enemy personally, but I was actually going without a mic, so if something happened to me I wouldn't be able to let them know.

I was scared.

But I had to get past it if I wanted this to work, so I breathed in deep through my nose and exhaled, imagining that the panic was leaving me with the air I breathed out.

Mark's hand found my shaking ones and held tight, lacing our fingers together.

"Mae, calm down. You're going to be just fine." He said softly. Without warning, he pulled me to him and wrapped me up in a hug, his hand rubbing circles onto my back. I let myself get lost in his embrace, feeling like this was the only place I was ever meant to belong in.

"I know," I mumbled into his shoulder, "I just feel like something bad is gonna happen."

He hugged me tighter. "I won't let it. I promise you, I'll protect you." He reassured, and I slowly pulled back so I could see him.

My earpiece crackled and Ten cut through into moment with the code word.

"Go."

Mark quickly kissed my cheek and ran off, leaving me alone behind the bushes. I bit down hard on my lower lip, willing the fear that rose up inside of me to go away.

I had a mission to do.

I slipped a piece of bubblegum into my mouth and chewed, blowing a bubble and popping it as I stepped onto the walkway.

The main building was slowly coming into view as I walked, all glass windows and shiny industry and a couple stories high.

"Mae, I'm cutting off your signal until further notice, so it'll be silent on your end for a while. Good luck, and don't die." Ten informed me. I nodded even though he couldn't see, and with a short beep, my earpiece cut off, and I was left in silence, the only sound audible being my heart beating double time and my feet crunching the dead leaves beneath them.

I zipped my jacket up and crossed my arms tightly, fending off the January chill. It was weird; the last time I'd been on a mission, it was November, but it still felt as if it had been last week.