:DNAL: Chapter Eleven

I woke up to the sound of a steady beat. I thought I'd take that as a good sign. I felt the IV in my arm before I saw it, but it still caused me to groan at the sight of the clear liquid attached by an inch deep needle.

“You're awake then, Dr. Henth.” A nice enough looking nurse smiled at me. I groaned internally, wishing I wasn't awake, every part of me was moaning in protest.

“How bad is the damage?” I muttered, not even trying to sit up.

“Not as bad as you'd expect for being stuck inside a burning down mental facility, with half the roof on top of you. Two broken ribs, a collapsed lung, some second and third degree burning and a sprained wrist. You'll get some scarring on your neck and arm off the burns, but as long as you stay as still as you can and don't take an unexpected turn you should be fit and healthy in a couple of weeks.” I nodded along as best as I could, which was to say not very well, I didn't like the idea of scarring, future patients could see it as a weakness.

“Is there a limit to the drugs you can have me on, or can I just be zoned out the next couple of days?” I asked, and was met by a stern look.

“You can have morphine when you're in pain, but you're not getting any more than necessary, Dr Henth.” She told me, I rolled my eyes. If I was going to obtain an addiction to prescription drugs I think it would have happened already. I just didn't have an addictive personality. Unlike a certain criminal who would obsess over something he liked until he got it.

I sat up, gasping, and ignoring the stabbing pain that ricocheted through my body.

“Nurse, is Ron Mcheith still alive?” She looked at me cautiously.

“Calm down, Dr Henth, He's alive. Please lie back.” I lay back down carefully, with the nurse helping me do so.

“Is he around?” I asked, following her movements as she walked around my bed, adjusting the Drip slightly and then consulting my chart. She started shaking her head, but I knew the signs of a lie. I was a psychologist, after all. I raised my eyebrow.

“Surprisingly, nurses have the lowest rate of lies to believers than any other modern evolved work.” I told her, picking at the side of the blanket. The nurse blushed, glaring at me and left the room.

Five minutes later Ron entered my room, looking more like one of the criminals I study than my boss.

“What's the damage?” I asked, and immediately his posture relaxed. He knew I wasn't going to ask how the fire was started.

“48 people died, 15 staff, 33 criminals. Entane itself is in ruins. Only a shell of a building left.” My breath caught in my throat.

“Lucas?” He shook his head, looking down and putting his hand out of sight in his pocket, he seemed relieved.

“They say he didn't burn alive, at least. The weight of the rubble crushed him first.” I guess his prediction was only half right, he didn't die with a smile of his face, but at least he got my part of my name. I bet the world would be glad to hear another crazy killer has been taken from the world. Really, people would be glad about the Fire of Entane, who would blink an eye against the death of of 33 insane criminals? The staff were just collateral damage. My voice came out choked when I said the next name.

“Claire?” He glared at the floor, making my intake of breath sharper.

“She... she's in a coma.” I felt my eyes close involuntarily. “The doctors don't know when she'll wake up.”

“Okay, you can go now.” Ron's eyes snapped up to mine, looking at me insulted.

“You're dismissing me?” He asked incredibly causing me to roll my eyes.