5- Before

"You know Joe is completely in love with you right?" Susie twirled her wavy blonde hair languidly and left her lunch untouched.

"Stop it Susie," I laughed, pretending I wasn't well aware he was besotted with me.

"He's cute you know- you could do worse..."

"He's a stoner."

Susie narrowed her eyes and tapped her fingers against the tabletop- still leaving her salad untouched.

"You always find an excuse don't you?" She tilted her head just an inch and my heart plummeted at the sight of her inquisitive eyes.

"Did you do the homework for French by the way?" I quickly asked, desperate to change the subject away from Joe or, more specifically, boys in general.

My shoulders must have physically dropped as we started to discuss homework. I couldn't deal with another set up, another date, another meaningless kiss which made me feel like an ice queen.

I needed something more. I need something more.

Susie was still harping on about French, but I'd stopped listening moments before, all I could see was her, George, marching straight towards us.

Have you noticed how time seems to change sometimes? Almost like someone is watching you on a film and they can choose when to pause, fast forward or rewind your life. Well someone had well and truly paused my life then- or put it in slow motion. Every step she took was like torture and heaven at the same time.

"Hi ladies, mind if I join?" George asked as she plonked her huge black rucksack across the centre of the table.

Susie's jaw dropped open before she quickly closed it and rolled her eyes in disbelief. Her eyes met mine- she was clearly waiting for my dismissal. We don't hang out with the freaks.

"Did you find your lesson OK?" I asked George, but before she could answer I quickly turned to Susie and said, "George is new- I've been assigned to show her around."

Susie's eyes widen before she mouthed, "ohhhhhhhhhh", with the subtly of a bull in a china shop. Even that cliché was more subtle than her.

"Assigned, eh?" George smirked before shovelling a slice of pizza down her throat, "want some?"

She shook a greasy slice in Susie's face.

Susie stood up repulsed by the pizza (apparently) before scuttling away from our table.

"That did the trick. Girls like that never want food." She took another huge bite into the slice before picking up a new slice and pointing it in my direction.

"Want some?"

It was a test. What type of girl was I?

The pizza hovered in front of my nose, but I still couldn't stop looking at George's lips. I wanted to lick the splash of tomato sauce from the corner and clear it away completely. I wanted to lean over and kiss those lips- right here in front of everyone. To grab hold of her and pull her body close to mine and-

"Ah, you're not a carb girl either?" She smirked to herself. It felt as if she wanted to imply she knew who I was. What type of girl I am. Maybe she knew more than I thought...

I took the biggest bite yet.

George fell forward laughing whilst still holding the half bitten slice of pizza, then she stopped suddenly and leant forward and almost whispered,

"I like you Alyssa. I think we'll get on. Despite the fact that you're you know-"

She gestured at me from my chest to my face and then smiled. I caught her eyes lingering on my breasts for just a second too long. My legs turned to jelly at the thought that she might be- could she be?

"I'm what?" I managed to stammer as I attempted to keep it together. Trying to hide the excitement that was bubbling up inside of me- just under the surface.

"You know- fucking hot."

My whole face must have turned the colour of the pizza sauce, but I couldn't help smiling from ear to ear, like a child on Christmas Eve.

"Pals?" She reached over and her hand hovered in the air in front of me.

I squeezed it tightly.

"Sure. Pals."

What's happening to me? I thought to myself. But the whole while I was smiling. I finally felt alive.

Are you enjoying the dynamic between Alyssa and George? Any predictions for their future? Comment below and if you're enjoying vote!