Chapter Twenty Two ♥ "The wedding"

Start from the beginning

“We wanted to spend some time with you, since tonight is your last night in this house.” Aunt Amna said, with a sad smile. Before she even finished her sentence I placed my hand on my face and rested it on the headrest.

“You want to make me cry.” I groaned.

“We’re here to talk to you about ‘you’.” My mother’s voice said calmly. I sat straight again, looking at them.

“I’d rather say to advise you.” Aunt Amna confided, with a playful look which made me smile.

“Don’t you think I am a little old for that?” I smirked. I mean at twenty four I knew all about ‘How to behave with people’.

“Mahra my child,” mother continued, closing the box and turning to face me. “A person is never old enough to receive advise, and now that you are going to start a new life, with a new family and an unfamiliar man, who may or may not be of your own temperament, you need to be told how to behave with them because there are things—in the life that you’re headed to—you haven’t experienced before.”

Mother paused to catch her breath and I knew that this was the introduction of a lecture that would probably be two hours long. So I patiently encouraged them with a nod.

“There will be a lot of beautiful times but some bad ones too,” Aunt Amna added, and I turned towards her, eyes narrowed. “Although I pray almighty would keep all evil away from you, but you have to act smart in all terms.” She finished and glanced at mother for support.

“We do not mean to frighten you, my child, or scatter your trust in yourself but most of the times you act according to your heart and forget the mind. I am your mother and you are my child, I know you very well.” In a way my mother was calling me naïve but I didn’t mind that, it was her last sentence that touched my heart. She really was my mother and had done more for me than a real mother ever would.

Aunt Amna and I watched her as she pondered over her words. “Patience dear child, with patience you can win everyone’s heart.” Mother carried on and I saw aunt Amna nodding from the corner of my eyes. “And care… for the young or the old, the good or the bad.” She stated, inviting me to comprehend all that she was trying to say. “There are two things in this world we cannot deny: Love and Care, and two things in this world we cannot neglect: Patience and decent morals.”

I grew silent, and just like a good daughter would, I listened. I listened to what message was it that they wanted to convey. They both kept advising me about how to behave with my husband and in-laws. What I should and shouldn’t do. It seemed like according to my mother there was no room for mistakes, which somewhat terrified me. What if I commit a mistake and ruin everything?

Will I still be wanted or cherished there?

Will I ever be wanted or cherished there? Uncle Waleed claimed that I was like his daughter, but no matter what he says, there is a difference between a daughter and a daughter-in-law!

Finally after a long hour, they said farewell and asked me to have some good beauty sleep; that is if sleep was gonna come after that long lecture. Mother let the door open saying she’d send Asma to sleep with me. I nodded and watched them go away. Suddenly an empty feeling, like I was a guest in my own house rose in my heart. I got up and took a picture of my father, which was placed on my bed-side table, and put it in one of the bags that I was taking with me.