chapter six: redemption

Start from the beginning

Kelsey hadn't seen Ethan since the night the water pipe broke, and her brother was too caught up with finals to be disturbed.

Kelsey was sweeping up flour, carrot slices, and mud from the floor one afternoon, when Chef Romano came bulldozing into the kitchen.

Kelsey immediately shrunk back, but was relieved when Chef Romano's anger wasn't directed at her.

"We cannot cater a party, Ivan! We have this set," she stated, counting on her fingers. "We have the C Building set in the mornings, and all weekends booked until August!"

The target of her rage was a short, pasty man, with a clean grey beard and sharp blue eyes. She'd seen him several times in the kitchen and knew he was the head assistant chef, but had never spoken to him. "I know Antonya, I know," he wagered, with a strong Polish accent, "I told her we could not do it, but she was insistent! She said she just needed to feed one-hundred people, so I thought I'd simply mention it. Plus, there will be some good business there, you know."

"Well I do not have time," Chef Romano spat. "We could always use publicity, but not at the expense of my sanity!"

Kelsey watched silently until her mouth spoke faster than her brain could function. "I'll do it."

Panic immediately fled through her. No! What are you thinking?!

Chef Romano's eyes found her and they narrowed. "What are you talking about?"

The attention of the other chefs in the kitchen was now on her.

There was no going back now.

Kelsey straightened. "I'll cook for that party. It's just a hundred people, I could do it."

Chef Romano snorted and turned away, but the chef she'd been talking to—Ivan—tapped her arm.

"Ah, Antonya, hear her out," he prompted.

Feeling a boost of confidence, Kelsey went on. "You don't even have to pay me overtime, I'll do it for free. You'll get your advertising without messing up the schedule."

Chef Romano stepped closer to Kelsey, smelling of sweat and garlic. "Why would you do it?"

Kelsey lifted her chin. "To prove that I can cook. I don't care if you have me wrapping up silverware for the rest of my job, but I just need to do what I came here for. One time."

"Prove it now."

"What?" Kelsey blinked.

Chef Romano stepped aside and gestured towards the kitchen. "Cook something here and we will decide if you are good enough to cook for the party. You have one hour to impress me."

Kelsey glanced between her and Ivan, who seemed equally shocked. There was dead silence from all the other chefs in the kitchen, but she noticed a couple of them slowly moving to the side to allow her room to work.

Kelsey hesitantly stepped forward, cheeks burning. She pulled down a pan, not having a clue what she was going to make, but figuring she had to look like she was doing something.

She pulled out a package of scallops and started melting some butter.

Finally, everyone began continuing their tasks and not paying much attention. That was when Kelsey felt she could actually think.

She grabbed a bottle of white wine, rice, and parmesan cheese and placed them next to the stove. She sautéed garlic together with the butter before adding the rice.

Once she had a nice, fragrant stir going, she began searing the scallops in olive oil while simultaneously tossing spinach in another pan.

Sweat collected on her brow and her hands moved faster than she was thinking. What if she wasn't good enough? What if she couldn't prove herself?

Soon, Kelsey was looking down at a plate of brown butter scallops with parmesan risotto.

"It's been an hour, intern," Chef Romano said from across the kitchen.

"I'm done," Kelsey replied, hating the way her voice sounded so weak. She stepped away as Chef Romano came up to the counter, followed by Ivan.

She gave Kelsey one of her signature stare-downs before picking up a fork. She gathered an entire scallop and a large portion of rice on the comparatively small tines before somehow fitting it all in her mouth.

Kelsey and everyone else in the kitchen watched her chew with bated breath.

Kelsey closed her eyes against her nerves.

Chef Romano swallowed. "Not bad, considering I hate scallops."

Kelsey licked her lips.

Ivan stepped forward and picked up another fork. He took a quick bite and nodded. "Do not let her fool you, miss. This is superb!"

Kelsey gave a short exhale and laughed. "R-really?"

Chef Romano rolled her eyes, but Ivan winked.

"It will do," Chef Romano corrected. "The party is in two weeks."

"So I can cater it?" Kelsey asked.

Chef Romano chewed on her lip. "Yes. But don't expect any extra credit—all I want is the advertising, not you to go the extra mile. I will give you exact recipes for what I want, so don't try anything new. And when you come back after that weekend, you will be serving lunch and washing dishes as usual. Understand?"

Kelsey nodded. "Yeah. Absolutely. Understood."

Chef Romano moved past her and shouted at everyone to get back to work.

Ivan tapped the side of his nose. "Not many can stand up to Her Majesty...besides, perhaps, myself."

"Why'd you stick up for me?" Kelsey asked.

Ivan glanced sideways, an almost mischievous expression on his wrinkled face. "Because I see the language of food in your eyes. You see it in the passion behind the cooking. Many people have the title of chef, but not the heart of one. It is a rare gift; I have it, even Antonya has it, though you might not think it. We love the food, not the status." He gestured casually towards the other chefs that were busy cooking. "Them? They do not have it."

He gave a light pat on her shoulder and turned to leave. "Miss Lynn will be very happy to have you cater her party."

It took a moment for Kelsey to register what he said. "Miss Lynn... as in Becca Lynn?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone! Hope you enjoyed!

~What do you think about Kelsey's big undertaking?

~How do you think it'll turn out with Becca?

~What were your thoughts on the chapter?

Thank you for reading! {Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!}

icon lock

Show your support for Nichole, and continue reading this story

by Nichole
@jndixon2
Kelsey Harris, a young chef moving to LA, struggles with work, the gl...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 35 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @jndixon2.