Chapter 15

This was one of those times when everything was perfect.

Jade and Jesy were connected by the hip. Their love was inevitable, much like oblivion—of course, oblivion being inevitable was a scary thought, but to think of the love as certain: that was a nice thought. Love and adoration radiated from the two like warmth radiated from the sun. Love was laced with every word they said to each other, almost like a spell being cast from a pair of lips. Love was a part of everything either of them did for the past few months, but that's how they were. Jade and Jesy were in love.

Jesy was happy, almost too happy for words to explain. She could almost not imagine herself a year ago, being rejected by her best friend, left alone with her broken heart and unstable feelings. She forgot about it, because it wasn’t anything she needed anymore. She didn’t need the memories, and she didn’t need the doll she got back in Louisiana—she was a bit glad it went missing, in fact. She could say thanks for all the memories—to whoever gave them to her, of course—even though they weren’t so great. She had Jade, and that was all that mattered to her.

But, as Jade and Jesy were lost in their fantasies of each other, it soon became one of those times when everything was falling apart.

The girls of Little Mix were taking a break for the day, and the four of them were enjoying the hot, American sun. It was almost the Fourth of July, which meant that the people were celebrating and fireworks were going off every night (even though it wasn’t even the Fourth yet.) It was a time of celebration in the country, and the girls were having as much fun as they possibly could.

“We’re at a fair,” Jade said.

Jesy nodded, intertwining her fingers with Jade’s. “Indeed we are,” she replied.

“You know,” Jade drawled out, “there’s a Ferris wheel at almost every fair, if not all.”

Jesy turned to Jade, who just so happened to have a small smile on her face. “Are you suggesting that we go on the Ferris wheel and kiss when we get stuck on the top?”

“That is correct.”

“But it’s only two,” Jesy replied, looking at her phone. “If we wait until nighttime, it’ll be even cheesier.”

“That’s the question of the day,” Jade replied with a sigh. “To be cheesy, or not to be cheesy?”

“We’re not romantic if not cheesy.”

“I disagree, but let’s be cheesy anyway.”

“Ooh!” Jesy exclaimed, slightly gripping Jade’s hand. “Let’s get popcorn! Not cheese-covered popcorn, of course, but caramel popcorn! Instead of cheesy, we can be... caramel-y.”

Jade scrunched her nose at her girlfriend’s “attempt” of a joke. “Why do I love you?”

“Because I have a nice butt and you know it.”

Jade faked a sigh. “The only reason why.” Jade stifled a laugh as Jesy complained, but she made it up with a kiss on Jesy’s lips. Jesy forgave her, and the two girls went to get caramel corn.

✘✘✘

Time flew by as the girls were at the fair. It didn’t take long for the moon to come high and for Jade and Jesy to kiss at the top of the Ferris wheel (Perrie tried to record them but failed ultimately, much to Leigh-Anne’s amusement). It was almost midnight when they went back to their hotel, and that was the start of when everything went wrong.

It was the same as every other night. Perrie would be really tired, she would whine, Leigh-Anne would baby her, and the blonde would be the first to fall asleep. Jade would spent an eternity taking her makeup off, Leigh-Anne would text Jordan, and Jesy would take selfies and post them online for Mixers to obsess over. The same thing happened every time.