Chapter 6

Love can hurt.

Now, it can go both ways. Jesy, for instance, was madly in love with Jade. And knowing that Jade didn’t love her back crushed her heart. It hurt her. Jesy was in pain. And now, driven by love and ambition, was on her way to make Jade love her.

Jade, on the other hand, was also hurting. Love had also caused the pain. But Jade wasn’t in love—it was Jesy’s love that was causing Jade pain. It was Jesy’s voodoo doll that was causing all of Jade’s hurt. She was groaning and moaning, and she didn’t know what to do.

It was really bad because the girls had a show that night, and Jade couldn’t just miss it. She couldn’t just leave the girls hanging; that would be terrible! Jade, being the selfless person she was, put up with the pain and still did the show.

Jesy knew Jade was sick. All of the girls knew Jade was sick. They could easily notice if they looked at the Geordie. Jade had massive bags under eyes—“Nothing make-up can’t cover up,” Jade said. She walked ever so slowly—“I’m just taking my time.” The slightest thing made her go into a fit of coughs—“I’ve been out of shape recently.”

The girls did everything they could to help Jade get better. Perrie gave her painkillers, Leigh-Anne checked her temperature frequently, and Jesy made sure she always had cookies and hot milk next to her.

There was an unspoken agreement amongst Jesy, Leigh-Anne, and Perrie—they wouldn’t dare mention that Jade wasn’t getting any better.

They tried everything. They tried going to the doctor; they tried herbal remedies; they tried placentas. The fans were starting to notice. Leigh-Anne was still taking care of Jade. Jesy was watching. Perrie—optimistic, happy-go-lucky Perrie—was starting to lose hope.

“She’s not getting any better,” Perrie would mutter.

“Don’t let Jade hear you say that,” Leigh-Anne replied.

“Jade knows she’s not getting any better,” Perrie said, almost bitterly.

“That could be the case,” Leigh-Anne half-heartedly agreed. “But there’s a line between knowing you’re not getting better and wanting to get better.”

Perrie didn’t say anything. Leigh-Anne didn’t expect her to.

✘✘✘

It was in the middle of the night, on the way to Arizona, that it happened.

Jade had stopped breathing.

“Call an ambulance!” Jesy shrieked. “Call for help! I don’t care, just do it now!”

She rushed towards Jade, and Jesy looked into her emotionless eyes. Jade’s eyes were practically dead, and Jesy started to cry. “No, no, no, no,” Jesy muttered. “Jade, you can’t do this to me. You can’t, don’t you dare.” Jade didn’t do anything—she just lied on her bed, completely lifeless. “Jade, you can’t leave me,” Jesy continued. “I need you. Please.”

Jade still did nothing.

“I love you,” Jesy choked.

Jade suddenly gasped, and she turned to Jesy.

“What happened? What did I do? Am I okay?” she sputtered.

Jesy smiled. “You’re okay.”

Jade sighed in relief. “Oh, thank goodness.” She pulled Jesy into a hug, which Jesy so gratefully returned. “Thank you,” she whispered. “You’re such a great friend, Jess.”

Friend.

The word was the only thing in Jesy’s head, and she couldn’t stand it anymore.