Chapter 22 - Faint

Mulai dari awal

"Talk to me, Rae," Leslie's voice sounds faraway but somehow brings me back to where I was. I turn to face her and tell her what happened.

The next few minutes that pass felt like forever until finally Sebastian was wheeled into an ambulance to the nearest emergency room. Josh ushers me to the car that took me and Seb here earlier so we could also make our way to the hospital. Everything else around me passes by in a blur; I barely hear everyone talking to me or where I was being herded. All I could think of was Sebastian in that gurney and I kept repeating a prayer for him to be alright.

Have I mentioned how much I hated hospitals? Then again, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only who has the same sentiment. Bits and pieces of that day when my family died in a plane crash made their way up my consciousness.

Suddenly, I feel like my 21 year old self again, alone, terrified and unsure of what to do. Why is it that when something good happens to me something happens to ruin it?

I sometimes feel like I still have some of my biological parents' bad luck with me and it's continuing to taint the lives of the people I love. I shook my head, not liking the direction my thoughts are taking me. Goddamit, I deserve to be happy. I deserve to be loved. I deserve Sebastian's love. I turn it into a mental chant until Josh interrupts my internal musings.

"Rae, the doctor's here. Let's go."

I absentmindedly rise from where I was seated and follow Josh to the other waiting area closer to the rooms. A tall, lanky guy in a white lab coat has his back to me, Leslie and Ann in front of him. From a distance, I could feel the tension emanating from Sebastian's manager's slim frame, she was like a mother to him, having been his manager for 17 years. I could only imagine the anxiety this must bring her.

I make my way to the small huddled group and stand beside Leslie, offering a reassuring squeeze of her arm and smile.

"Oh hey, Rae," Leslie acknowledges my presence and holds my hand. "This is Sebastian's girlfriend, she lives with him in LA. Please tell us what happened to him, Doc."

"Well, he's severely dehydrated, and he has a slight fever which contributed to his fainting spell. He seems to be fatigued. I realize it may be because of the demands of his responsibilities as an actor, understandably so, but he needs to rest and get rehydrated. I strongly recommend to have him fly back home and take a two week break to--"

"Two weeks?!" Leslie asks incredulously. "Oh my god."

Behind us, I can hear Ann and Josh verbally running through all of Sebastian's commitments that would need to be rescheduled and canceled. I turn around and they were in their own huddle, looking at each other's phones.

The interrupted doctor cleared his throat and resumed his speech, annoyance lining his features.

"As I was saying, miss..."

"Please, call me Leslie," Leslie finishes for him.

"Leslie, I understand your client has a lot of commitments and responsibilities as a movie star, but I have to insist that he take care of himself first. Two weeks would be enough for him to rest and be refreshed and I hope that is something you can consider."

"Alright, 2 weeks it is. But he's not flying back to America. His mother's arriving in a few hours; he's staying in Constanța instead," Leslie acquiesced. I tune out the rest of their conversation, only refocusing my attention when there was a lull in their exchange. I wanted to see Sebastian desperately to see how he is.

"Can we see him now, Doc?" I ask. The doctor nodded and proceeded to lead the way. Leslie, Ann and Josh stay behind to address some of the immediate stuff about the botched Q&A at the premiere, promising to catch up to Seb's room within 10 minutes.

The doctor led me to the room at the end of the hallway. He opened it for me and left as soon as I stepped inside. I tell him my thanks before he was gone and gave me a reassuring smile. My eyes automatically found my other half sleeping peacefully on the other end of the fairly spacious but sparsely decorated room.

An IV drip was attached to Sebastian's right hand which was resting on his stomach. It rose and fell in rhythm with his quick, shallow breaths. I then make my way beside his bed, planting a featherlike kiss on his forehead before taking the chair beside him. He still looked pale and felt feverish though. I try to quell a fresh round of worry rising from the pit of my stomach, reminding myself of the doctor's words that he just needs extra time to rest and recuperate.

I take the hand resting on his tummy and give a gentle squeeze. He then stirs gingerly awake and smiles weakly upon seeing me.

"Are you my angel?" Sebastian asks feebly, bringing my knuckles to his lips.

"I could be," I say tentatively. "But I'm so tempted to be a bitch and act like the devil right now. You promised me, Sebastian."

He looks at me with downcast eyes and grips my hand tighter. "I know...and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I freaked everyone out," he says contritely and the anger I wanted to feel gave way to concern instead. "Mom will skin me alive once she finds out. Ever since we found out about my stepdad's Alzheimer's, she's become this health nut, you name it—jogging in the morning, fruits and veggies, ugh, I'm gonna be toast."

"Oh my god," I gasp. "Your mom's arriving in a few hours!" I exclaim in remembrance. Sebastian and I were supposed to go to the airport to pick her up after the screening. We were gonna change first in the hotel and then drive straight to Henri Coandă. It was then that Leslie, Ann and Josh came in the room to join us.

"Seb!" Leslie exclaimed as she came up beside me. "You bloody scared us out there. I so want to chop you up into itty bitty pieces, but I'll leave that to Georgeta."

Sebastian laughed weakly. "Okay, I deserved that. Speaking of my feisty mother, Josh?"

"Yeah, stubborn dumbass?"

I laughed hard at Josh's new nickname for my male though I found it a little puzzling. I mentally file it away for the time being under 'questions I need to ask Sebastian later'. Sebastian covers his face in humiliation.

"Sheesh, okay fine, I deserved that too. Need to ask you a favor—"

Josh raises a hand to shut him up. "Say no more, Stan. I'll join Rae to the airport to pick up your mom," he then pauses to look at me. "You still up for it though, Rae?"

Much as I want to be the one to meet Georgeta, I wanted to stay with Sebastian. I slowly shake my head to tell him no. "Sorry Josh, I...I want to stay, if that's okay with you."

I turn my gaze to a beaming Sebastian and I squeeze his hand.

"I need to keep thisstubborn mofo in line."