Part II Chapter 23 - Reunion

Start from the beginning

"Guys, guys!" Lukas called out, raising his hands in front of his chest in a gesture indicating to stop. "Not now, we have a guest."

He didn't look surprised to witness such a sight. I felt disappointment slowly growing within me as I started to consider the possibility that he might be acquainted with the two bullies. It was unexpected. As far as I can tell, Lukas didn't seem like such a person. However, it didn't look like a racial issue, considering the fact that he didn't mind me being a half.

The two bullies definitely heard Lukas but ignored him, focusing on keeping the demi-human boy immobile.

Seeing this, I couldn't help but pity him a little. I did resent him for hurting me, but it's not like he did it on purpose. I definitely didn't want to get involved with this and risk becoming a target instead of the demi-human boy, especially since it's not my problem. However, I was raised with morals.

Surveying my surrounding, I noticed that no one was willing to interfere. Most students chose to ignore the scene, resuming whatever they were doing, while others simply watched, with a small hint of a smile on their face. Damn snobs...

Unable to watch the poor boy struggling any longer, I decided to step in. However, before I could do anything, I felt Lukas' hand on my shoulder, stopping me. As I looked at him, he simply smiled at me without saying anything.

"Alright, hold him tight!" A voice suddenly ordered, coming out from the same room the two boys just left.

A third boy appeared, seemingly siding with the bullies as he rushed to their side to grab the demi-human boy by his collar. He raised his fist, ready to hit him, while his friends made sure that their victim would not be able to dodge.

I know I should have done something, but my brain ceased working as I immediately recognize the newcomer.

"B-Brother...?"

His punch stopped halfway as he heard my voice and looked at me. When his gaze met mine, he completely froze, his eyes wide open.

"Lyni?"

Ah... It's him. It's definitely Aoban. What the hell is he doing? I tried to interpret the situation the best as I can, but none of the conclusions I came up with were good. I was in denial. He couldn't be my brother. Aoban would never gang up with bullies against a single boy, weaker than him. I tried to convince myself that it was just a misunderstanding.

Unsure of what was going on, the demi-human boy took advantage of the confusion to free himself from the loosened grasp of his captors and wiggled his way out, pushing the bullies.

"Shit, he's getting away!"

As one of the boy was about to run after him, he was stopped by the other.

"Give it up. It's a demi-human. You won't match his speed," he said, shaking his head.

The boy clicked his tongue as he watched his victim slowly disappear from afar, before venturing his frustration on my brother.

"What the hell, Aoban?!"

Brother did not answer but somehow managed to pull himself together.

"You!" He exclaimed, pointing at me. "What the hell are you doing here?! Don't tell me you ran away from home?"

His sudden fuss attracted attention as his friends exchanged an inquiring glare and a few students started to gather around us, curious to see what was going on.

Without giving me a chance to respond, Aoban immediately shifted his attention to Lukas as he noticed him.

"Lukas!"