Chapter 50: Back to Neverland

Start from the beginning

"One night," said Ruslan in his gruff voice, raising one finger. "We stay one night and then we sail off to Kenmard."

Robin eyed Lancelot. "We should send word to Lydian about our arrival and intent. The council of nobles may not want to relinquish their power and it might take time to secure a meeting with them."

Lancelot nodded, his expression changing from jovial to serious. He was a knight of Avalon now. "I know how to speak to these old men. I'll come with you." Lancelot glanced at his brother in arms. "Gawaine, you should come too. Having your signature on our letter will pressure those fools further."

The older knight nodded. "Very well."

"What about the girls?" asked Ruslan, gesturing to Red and Cindy.

"Red knows Tortug well," Robin said as he started to leave with the Avalonians. "She can guide you if need be."

"Good." Ruslan met Red's gaze and frowned. "Where does a man find a good drink around here?"

Red knew just the place.

****

Minutes later, Red and the others were standing before an inn that had seen better days. Its walls were stained and cracking and its door didn't close properly. Some of its windows were broken and its roof had holes. Swinging in the wind was the establishment's sign board, calling it Neverland Inn.

"What is this place, Red?" Cindy asked with a grimace. "I saw some nicer inns and taverns on the way here. Why this one?"

"You'll see," Red said with a smile. She led the way inside and stared across the room to the bar where a woman with caramel-coloured hair and a dirty apron was passing a plate of food to a customer. She noticed Red enter and grinned with joy.

"Welcome back to the dung heap, Red!" Wendy exclaimed. She spotted Cindy and Ruslan and waved them all over. "Come on in, it might smell bad and look worse but the food is still good."

Ruslan nodded and smiled. "This place is exactly where I want to be. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of fighting off a few drunks before the night is over. I've been craving some excitement."

Cindy rolled her eyes. "Then go sit somewhere else, uncle. I don't want you getting us in trouble."

As Ruslan found a seat near one of the inn's darker corners, Red and Cindy sat up on the stools at the bar. "What happened here, Wendy?" she asked the busy woman.

"Would you believe me if I told you it used to look worse?" she replied as she filled a tankard of water. She passed it to Cindy, who drank it eagerly. "I came back here to find it completely ransacked. Luckily, I had my liquor stored securely in a secret location and no one had been able to break through. I'll have to thank Hook for that."

"How did you manage to open it up again so soon?"

"I had help," Wendy said with a wink, just as a familiar face stepped out from the kitchen's doorway, carrying several plates of food.

Red and Cindy were both smiling when the dark-haired woman spotted them and froze on the spot, nearly dropping her plates. Her hair was looped into a massive braid that fell down to her heels, nearly brushing on the floor.

"Rapunzel!" both of them said in unison.

The young woman had tears of joy in her eyes as she quickly handed the plates over to the customers and raced over to Red and Cindy. She leaned over the bar and hugged them both.

"I miss you so much!" she exclaimed as several tears rolled down her round cheeks. "Is Selvina here too?"

"She had to stay in New Avalon," Red explained. "With the Black Knight wandering about, Merlin said it would be best if she stayed safely protected by King Arthur's army. She really wanted to come, though."