Julian turned a page in the book to feign reading it as he considered how to murder Regulus. Julian would never triumph against Regulus in the castle. He had an army behind him and guards stationed at his door. He had to get Regulus alone and isolated from his men.

Several servant girls traipsed down the stone pathway, carrying wicker baskets of laundry and watching Regulus with wide eyes. They turned around and glanced at Julian, their speech dissolving into giggles. Julian's fingers tightened around the book as he pointedly ignored them.

Lost in his thoughts, Julian did not notice the sparring had ceased. Regulus dropped his sword and grinned, clapping his opponent on the back. As a squire rushed forward to gather and clean the swords, Regulus turned to look at Julian who was reading under a tree, bare feet sunk into the tall grass, his hair golden in the sunlight. Regulus felt a swell of pride at the sight. Julian was such an uncommon beauty—more befitting of a nymph or archangel than any man on earth.

Regulus wiped his forehead with the back of his hand and walked to stand in front of Julian. "Hello, darling." He greeted.

"Hello," Julian said. He turned another page in his book and hoped Regulus would leave him alone. He had to return to his plotting.

Regulus sat down next to him. His knee brushed Julian's.

Julian glanced up from his book, his brow furrowed, the barest hint of his unhappiness. He couldn't think about how to murder Regulus and escape with his neck still intact if the man was sitting next to him.

Julian closed his book and pressed it into Regulus' hand. "Will you read aloud, please?"

Regulus' lips tugged into a smile and he nodded, accepting the book. "How about we go inside for a bite to eat?" He suggested, wiping the sweat from his brow. "I'll have a bath, because I desperately need one, and we can read inside."

Julian looked at the open sky and rolling hills. The leaves on the trees were just beginning to turn to golds and reds. "But it's a beautiful day. You go in for a bath," Julian said innocently. "I'll stay here and read."

Regulus laughed. "Don't be ridiculous, love." He said, and Julian felt a sudden flare of irritation. Julian had been so good recently, Regulus had said it himself only days earlier. He had sleepily kissed Julian on the forehead before bed and murmured something about his happiness with Julian. How could Regulus not trust him yet?

Julian bit the inside of his cheek until it hurt, sharp and painful and nearly drawing blood. "Perhaps we can come back to see the sunset, then." Julian suggested hopefully.

"I'm supposed to attend a banquet in the Great Hall tonight. Mary arrived today, and I'm celebrating her return." Regulus said contemptuously.

"Oh," Julian said awkwardly. Mary, Regulus' wife. Regulus had not been able to delay the wedding for long.

"You know I would rather spend the evening with you, darling." Regulus said quietly. He reached over as if to touch Julian's hand, but he stopped himself. He pulled his hand away and rested it on his own thigh. "Once the wedding is over, there will be no need to be so hospitable to Mary's family. These things must be dealt with until then."

Dealt with. Like a particularly annoying gnat.

They fell into an uncomfortable silence. Julian watched maidservants hand underskirts on laundry lines, and Regulus watched Julian. Regulus cleared his throat and looked away.

"Look," Regulus said. "See that little man over there? That's Arterio. He's a Lord from the south of Admantine. He's come for the wedding."

Across the grounds, a short, pudgy man was circling the rose garden with a young woman in gossamers silks.