Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

I let out an audible sigh. "No. She didn't say anything."

I buried my face in my palms in exhaustion and frustration. I knew something was wrong. I had to find out one way or another, but how?

Mako placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry too much okay? It's probably just nothing."

I smiled weakly at him. "I hope you're right."

We sat on that bench for a while longer. But as the sun began to set and the shops state red to clear out, we decided that it was time to part out ways and head home.

I trudged home, my legs a lot heavier than they usually are. I wanted to find out more about Korra's actions but I knew that meddling too much would just push her farther and farther away from me.

In just about 30 minutes, I reached the anxiety inducing steel gates of my mansion. Upon seeing me, the guards immediately stood up straighter with their faces void of expression. I sighed and entered just as the gates opened.

Just as expected, I was greeted by our butler and a couple of maids. They bowed and curtsied simultaneously. I returned the gesture by nodding and stepped inside. I headed to the kitchen hoping to find a snack before heading to bed, when I bumped unexpectedly into my mother. Her face was oddly flushed, which made me wonder wether she was sick or not.

Coincidentally, our personal driver, Mr. Andrews headed out of the kitchen with a sandwich in his hand. He gave me a respectful nod and went on his way.

"Asami," Mother addressed.

"Mom," My face contorted in worry as she I watched her fondle with her dress.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes I'm fine. Where have you been?" She glanced at the clock behind her. "It's almost midnight."

"I had things to do." I avoided direct eye contact with her. I knew she accepted the fact that I was gay, but I didn't know if I could trust her enough to tell her. It's probably best this way too. I don't need her to get involved.

She furrowed her eyebrows at me in suspicion. But she let it slide and simply smiled weakly.

"Just be careful always okay?" I nodded. She smiled in satisfaction and kissed my forehead.

I was about to grab an apple and head upstairs when she suddenly stopped me again.

"Oh I almost forgot to tell you. Your principal thought it would be a good idea for you to go to the Annual Dance and give a small speech, as the class's brightest student. I told him you'd be happy to do it."

My jaw dropped in shock. This certainly wasn't the best time for me to give speeches.

"Why would you do that?" I complained. She might've been my mother but she had no right to agree to anything on my behalf, without my permission.

"It'll look good on your college application, and your transfer papers for Denville Boarding School next year."

I instinctively stepped back, which slightly fazed my mother's usual strong demeanour.

"I'm not transferring to a boarding school, and I'm certainly not moving."

Mother placed her hands on her hips, trying desperately to intimidate me.

"Well you have no choice in the matter."

"No!" I exclaimed. "All my life I've been doing everything you and Father thought is best for me. I have spent my life trying to impress you, to make you proud. But everything I have done will never be enough." I poured out as tears flowed down my face. Every emotion I had hid from my parents erupted out of my mouth like a dormant volcano that had bottled up it's magma for centuries. I couldn't deny them anymore. Honestly, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

She tried to reach for my face, but I retracted from her touch and ran upstairs. As I reached my room, I locked the door behind me and dived into my bed.

I sobbed for what seemed like hours, I couldn't really tell.

In that moment I stared at the full moon outside my window, that lit up  the entire room. It reminded me of so many memories I had with Korra. Moments that I treasure more than anything. More than the life I was raised in.

I silently whispered a wish, a wish full of longing and desperation. A wish full of sadness and love, hoping that somehow, it would reach her.