Chapter Two

"Well that was intense." Asami said as she smiled at me. She was referring to the constant confused and death stares I gave to Bolin, an hour before.

After that debacle with Bolin, came our last class period of the day. The class was Math and not many students were paying attention. Mostly because it was math and the last class. After school, Asami and I headed down to a convenient store and got ourselves ice cream. Then we went to the park and sat on the swings while enjoying our ice cream.

"You really have to stop trying to be friends with weird people." I told her.

"I can't." she stated bluntly. "Anyways he wasn't that bad."

I begged to differ. Underneath that warm smile was malice and I intended to expose it and keep Asami away from it. I was in deep thought when Asami nudged me with her elbow.

"What?" I asked.

"Your ice cream." She pointed to my cone.

The vanilla cream was dripping from the side of the cone, threatening to drip all over my hand. I licked it quickly before it reached my hand. I turned to Asami who was giggling cutely while staring at my face.

"What now?" I asked again.

"You've got it on your nose." She said while giggling. She reached out her hand and used her index finger to wipe it off. She then licked that finger.

My face suddenly felt flushed. I looked down to prevent Asami from seeing my face.

Why was I feeling this all of a sudden?

After we finished our ice cream, Asami turned to me. Her dark brown hair glinted under the setting sun, her light brown streaks exposed. Her light blue eyes glittered. She was really pretty. Her skin was so white, and elegant. It looked so smooth to touch. In middle school before I met her, she would always get praised by fellow classmates because of her beauty. The boys would always talk about her and try to be her boyfriend. I knew because I was always alone and I would eavesdrop on everyone's conversation. Due to her beauty and popularity, I assumed she would be too conceited to even acknowledge someone like me. But I was wrong.

She gave me her warmest smile. She stood up in front of me. "C'mon." She said and extended her hand to me. "Let's go home." She said sweetly. I grabbed her hand and stood up.

We walked side by side each other, her hand still holding mine firmly. Her hand was so soft. I felt red rush to my cheeks again.

Why was this happening?

Asami lived only a few blocks away from each other on the same street. We would take the same route together and that route always brought us to my house first. She waved goodbye before heading down to her house. As I opened the door to my house, I found myself staring at Asami's figure disappearing in the short distance. I snapped myself out of the trance.

"I'm home." I called out to an empty house. My parents were rarely in the house whenever I got home from middle school. I guess that won't change. They were always busy at work. My mother is lawyer and my father is game designer. We were well-off financially but I never really thought of my family as rich. But even if we were billionaires, I still would hate it. What's the point of having all that money when you can even spend time with your family?

I peeked my head to the kitchen, hoping to find food. There was food, but mostly just microwavable goods. We rarely bought fresh meat or vegetables. I couldn't exactly cook and even if I did, I would just resort to healable food because I would be too tired to cook right after school. Most kids had their parents to cook home-made food for them when they got home.