Chapter Four

I woke up to the sound of my front door shutting. As I turned to my bedside table, the clock read 6 am. My workaholic father had left just as he does. It has been a long time since I ever heard him say goodbye. It seems like he never did to begin with.

I haven't heard anything from my mother either for at least two weeks now. The only communication I ever have with her is the post-its she leaves every now and then on the fridge or the kitchen counter. In them, she usually just tells me to do everyday chores and groceries.

I rarely got to see the shadow of my mother. She rented out an apartment close to her office. A year ago, she would make sure to come home every weekend. Now, I'd be lucky to even see post-it notes, never mind her.

Last year. Seems like a lifetime ago.

~~~~

"Korra," Asami called out as she wrapped me in her arms. I took the liberty to come up to her house this time and walk to school with her.

The conversation I had with her really helped me through. After I had calmed down, we talked about significant and insignificant things that happened in our lives. Turns out, we had so much to talk about. I didn't realise that when we decided to go to bed, it was already 3 am.

I relished in her embrace and returned the gesture by wrapping my arms around her slender waist. She was so warm. Like the sun.

She locked her front door, and hung one arm on my shoulders. Even though we both didn't get any sleep, Asami still looked breath-taking. Even without make up on, she looked dazzling under the rising sun. Compared to a wall flower like me, she was a gorgeous white rose. 

~~~~

Once we were nearing our classroom for homeroom with Mr. Carter, I noticed a dark figure looming outside our door. It was Bolin. His dark hair was slicked neatly in place with hair gel. He wore his classic "bad-boy" look again, with leather skinny jeans, leather jacket and boots all in black. He was wearing a white v-line shirt, that showed his well-built muscles. He slung his leather jacket over his back, hooking the jacket neck tag on his index finger.

He was waiting patiently beside the door, leaning against the wall. Once he noticed Asami and I, he gave Asami a sweet and sheepish smile. I cringed inwardly at the action.

"Bolin, what are you doing here?" Asami asked.

"Can't I visit my two favourite girls?" He stated jokingly.

I fought the urge to vomit right there and then. His favourite girls? No way in hell will I just stand there and be insulted! I was about to give him a piece of my mind, when suddenly Asami grabbed my arm, preventing me from completely obliterating this guy.

Due to Asami's popularity, I would constantly get bombarded with teenage hormonal boys trying to score with Asami, by using me as their way in. By the end of middle school, I was sick of it. Not because it made me insecure, but because they didn't know Asami as well as I did. Every time I would overhear boys, talking rudely of Asami, it made my blood boil. One guy went too far and unfortunately for him, I was near his vicinity. Let's just say that after that, he wasn't able to walk straight for a month.

Asami's action gave me time to readjust my thoughts and calmed me down. I took a deep breathe and turned my attention to Bolin, who was now staring at me curiously.

"What do you really want?" I asked sharply.

"Well, I was actually wondering if I could hang out with you two, you know, get to know each other." He shifted his gaze between the two of us. "So, what do you say?"