Chapter Eleven

Korra's POV

I always loved sunsets. I loved how so many colours could fill up the sky and paint it, just like how an artists paints on their canvas. I loved how every colour somehow merge so effortlessly even though they weren't meant to in the first place. I loved the shades that it would cast on the land. The way they would make somethings flash or fade, would make me wonder about the secrets that life hid. The secrets that I know I wouldn't understand.

I watched the sunset continue to become twilight, until I heard a car horn coming form the front of the cabin. It was a 69' Black Cadillac. I sighed heavily.

Asami stepped out of the car and so did Bolin. Knowing how persistent Bolin is and how smart Asami is, I wasn't that surprised. Asami rushed towards me and hugged me violently, missing how she would do so, so many times.

Then to my amazement, she slapped me on my cheek so hard that I choked on my own saliva. I stared with bewilderment at her. She had the most furious look on her face.

"What the hell were you thinking?" she exclaimed. "I moved heaven and earth, looking for you"  she hesitated and turned to Bolin. "We both did."

I sighed again. "You can't possibly understand Asami." I said bluntly and walked towards the lake I was admiring moments before. They both followed me earnestly.

Suddenly Asami stood right in front of me, blocking my way. She looked me straight in the eyes and grabbed my wrist, holding it ever so slightly, like holding fragile glass.

"Then help me understand." She said, her eyes becoming moist. "Tell me what happened."

As I looked at Asami, it reminded me of our past. The happiness that came along with it. The vivid yet distant memories of our happy days, laughing about everything, not giving a single care to the world. But it also reminded me about the pain that came with those memories.

Tears threatened to escape, so I wiped them angrily, but I still couldn't stop it. I stared at Asami, angry boiling up inside of me.

"You really wanna know Asami?!" I exclaimed. "I'll tell you, but don't say I didn't warn you." I hesitated. She gulped.

"After you walked off on me, I left and came back home." I hesitated. "I came home to my deadbeat dad, drinking on a bad mood. He was so upset that I went to your house, he started screaming at me. I defended you, like I always do. But that didn't work out so well." Tears came crashing down by that point, so I didn't bother wiping them.

"He threatened me, my life Asami. But I didn't expect him not to, after all, he hates me. He blames me for mom leaving us. I don't blame him either. He's right." I sobbed.

By this point, I couldn't stop myself. I couldn't stop the hurtful things I was saying. I knew deep in my heart that Asami wasn't at fault. But I was too angry to see that.

"Please just leave Asami, take Bolin too." I pleaded. I tried to walk away, to spare them the mess that I was in. But Asami grabbed my arm and forced me to look at her.

She sniffled, tears streaming down her face. That broke me even more. I'm making her cry, something I promised I wouldn't.

"Please don't do this Korra." She pleaded. "Please come home."

I sniffled and wiped my tears away. For as long as I can remember, I've been crying about my problems. not doing a damn thing to fix anything. I've been running for so long, I can't recall any moments in my life that I stood still and faced my problems head on.

I wanna fight for myself. But I can't drag others with me. I can't burden them with my mess. Not Bolin. Especially not Asami.

I looked into Asami's eyes. Trying to find that calming light blue flicker. The one that always gave me ease. But all I saw was a stormy dark blue chaos.

I forcibly loosened her grip on me, until she eventually let go. I walked over to Bolin and looked at him with pleading eyes.

"Take her with you, and go back." I said bluntly.

"You know I can't do that Korra and you can't make me. Or her." He said defiantly.

I held my palms to my face and ran my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"For once Bolin, can you please just do what I say?!" I exclaimed. Tears began to shed once again. I shifted my glance between them.

"I need to do this alone." I hesitated. "I can't involve both of you in my mess. I need to fix this, and I can't do that with you."

By now Asami was struggling to breathe while Bolin shed a few tears. They were both trying desperately to hold their ground. Not letting themselves be swayed by my pleading words. Asami grabbed my hands once more and gripped them tightly. Her eyes were swollen red and watery. She was heartbroken.

I also could hear Bolin's sniffles behind me. Even in this situation, he was trying to be tough, which made me smile inwardly. I could always see past through his rough exterior. We've been through so much as individuals and as a couple.

Asami and Bolin have always been beside me. Keeping me safe and sane. I never found a way to repay them.

I stepped towards the lake, taking my friends by surprise. By now the sky has gotten darker, the light autumn colours were now replaced by a dark winter scene. Dark blues began to invade with stars creeping in.

My beloved sunset sky was fading, into night. That reminded me of a saying about the days ahead being brighter than the night before.

Maybe if I took a chance, that would become true for me. Maybe if that chance with my friends.

But my train of thought was interrupted by the deafening sirens coming from ahead. Its sound become stronger, louder and closer. That was the first time I saw red and blue clash together, colouring the scenery around me with a looming darkness that I couldn't avoid. No matter how far I tried to run.

As I watched a dark figure looming in front of a bright headlight walking towards me, I began to reminisce to the last time my parent and I were at this small wooden cabin, in this particular mountain range. The moments we spent sitting at the dock, fishing and laughing about distant memories from before. Talking about the unforeseen future we would have together, happily.

Never did I imagine how wrong and far off from that future, we would turn out to be.

Bu that was all it would be. A pipe dream, within a memory trapped in glossy paper, hidden within the walls of an empty and cold nightmare.

A nightmare I can't wake up from.

"Miss Korra. We need you to come with us,"