Chapter Sixteen

Korra's POV

"I'm sorry," Asami hesitated. Her gaze shifted from my eyes to the ground. "For not going with you to the police station." 

I could sense that there was something she wasn't telling me. I didn't want to pressure her to, but as her best friend for 5 years, I thought she would've trusted me enough. 

"It's fine. I get it. You were sick." I said abruptly. I didn't think I would be that annoyed, but the tone I had in my voice was too obvious and Asami noticed. 

I dismissed her glare, and kept walking towards Biology. One of the very few classes I loved and didn't have with Asami. All day, she has been hinting that she wanted to talk to me, but only worked up the courage now to say anything. 

I walked towards the other direction, and I could feel Asami gawking at me. To be honest, I was too upset to care.

Unfortunately for me though, Bolin was also in Biology with me. We collided with each other at the entrance of the classroom, because he was so eager to see me. His face was plastered with that adorable smirk of his, and even though I wanted to hate him, I didn't. 

His gaze fell past my shoulder and I could tell he was staring at Asami, even though I couldn't see. His pale complexion and the empathetic look in his eyes gave him away. 

He was about to open his mouth, but I cut him off by walking past him, and taking a seat at my desk, a few rows away from his. 

Biology class went by as the time passed and not a single hint of today's topic remained in my brain. I spent the whole class wondering about Asami and why she looked so guilty about something. I knew it had something to do with me, as she never hesitated to tell me about anything before. 

I just wished she'd tell me. 

After class ended, I packed my things quickly, but Bolin was faster and he was already waiting for me by the only exit of the room. I sighed and virtually surrendered, while Bolin ran his fingers through his red hair and smirked.

"So, you gonna tell me why you're ignoring your best friend?" Bolin asked, tilting his head to the side. The action was so unlike him, which made me smile a little. 

I sighed the smile away, and returned to pouting at the mention of Asami.

"She's hiding something from me. And I don't like it." I stated bluntly.

"But don't you think you're overreacting?"

I stared at Bolin ferociously, causing him to put his hand up in the air.

"I'm just saying. There were times when you didn't exactly open up to us." Bolin hesitated. I tried to pry my eyes away from him, but he lifted my chin forcing me to gaze into his gorgeous emerald eyes.

"Asami's been really patient with you. Maybe you should do the same."

The bell rang dismissing our classes and lunch rolled in. I took the necessities out of my locker and left the unnecessary inside it. All the thinking I've been doing gave me a pretty big appetite, so I hurried to the cafeteria. When I walked in, I saw the eager eyes of Asami meeting her gaze with mine. She sat beside Bolin at our usual spot.

I tried to bring myself to accept whatever was bothering Asami and just give her time to think. I tried to psych myself to just give her time. But the years I've spent being toyed around and being tormented by the lies of my own parents made it hard. The lies that brought our family apart.

I couldn't handle it, so I rushed out of the cafeteria, while catching a glimpse of the tormented look on my best friend.

****
"We should stop meeting like this." A voice from behind me chimed, making me turn. It was Mako.