Chapter Thirty

Korra's POV

The water felt refreshingly cold against my skin. That was the best part about having a cabin near the lake. You could dip your legs in the water and no one would punish you for it. I looked up and stared at the early morning sun, peeking itself from the shadows of the mountain, the mountain I love. As I stared longer, it seemed as though the sky that was painted all different shades of red, danced around the faintly visible stars. They moved in harmony together, as if they survived only with each other.

I gasped as I heard a twig snapped behind me. Then, I saw Bolin with a relieved smile on his face. He ran up to me and engulfed me in his embrace.

"I'm so glad I found you." He said in between breaths. "You've been missing for two days, why didn't you come home?"

"I couldn't," I whispered. Those words hung in the air as it was met with silence.

Bolin separated himself from me and sat beside me on the dock. He then took off his shoes and socks and socked his feet in the water. He sighed and looked at the rising sun. 

"I know about you and Asami." He spoke. 

A surge of anxiety came through me. How did he know? How long had he known? These questions piled up in my thoughts, overpowering the thoughts I had already been torturing myself with.

He looked at me with empathy. "I know you two had a fight." He continued. 

A small sigh of relief escaped from my mouth. I know I shouldn't be happy about Bolin's obliviousness to everything. I know I should tell him. But I know it would just break his heart. I would break his heart. 

"I know I'm not Asami," He hesitated. "But I care about you too. I'm here ready to listen when you need me." He smiles softly. "Just don't forget that." 

I snapped my head away from his gaze. That loving gaze. It was torturing me. Tearing me to pieces. My chest constricted again, like another panic attack but worse. I was in pain, a kind of pain that wouldn't go away. I hit my chest, again and again, hoping that it would stop. Thankfully it did.

"Did you tell anyone that I'm here?" I stirred to another topic. 

"No, but it won't take long 'til your mom finds out." 

~~~~

Asami's POV

I stood in the middle of the hallway, as everyone around me glared at me. Some with resentment in their eyes, others with disappointment and curiosity. More reporters gathered and snapped pictures on their phones. They all pointed their microphones trying to get a statement out of me. 

The principal rushed through the crowd towards me, he was one of the many who was disappointed. 

"Miss Sato, come with me." He spoke low as he dragged me through the hoard of students and reporters, while guards tried to keep them at bay.

The walk to the office felt like a long one, in awkward silence. Once we had arrived, my family lawyer was already seated on one of the chairs in front of the principal's desk. 

I didn't know his name but I recognized him. He would be present at family meetings I had to attend between my father and his relatives. He handled any situations related to my father that would have detrimental effects on his family name and business.

As told, I sat on the leather sofa in the room. Not a moment later, a light knock was heard, revealing my parents with a permanent scowl on their faces. I mentally prepared myself.

"Mr. and Mrs. Sato." The principal greeted with a forced smile on his face. He was always desperate to impress my family, trying his best to sink in his teeth into our business. That's why I never got reprimanded for the things I did in the school. 

The family lawyer stood and gave a small nod to my father and sat back down.

"Asami!" My mother exclaimed as she saw me. She rushed to my side and hugged me. She then noticed the dried blood on my fist and looked at me skeptically. 

"Don't worry mom, it's not mine," I spoke.

"That's exactly the problem!" My father exclaimed from the other side of the room. "What have I told you about upholding the family name?!" 

I stayed silent. It was one of the actions I have learned to do when my father was in this type of mood.

"Answer me!" 

"I  was defending my best friend. Last time I checked, that wasn't against any family's ethics." 

My father strode across the room, faster than humanly possible. He raised his hand and slapped me, my face burning in a hot sensation rushing through it. "How dare you speak to me that way!" 

The room fell silent. My mother cautiously came in front of me, shielding me from my father. "That's enough, Hiroshi!" She exclaimed. 

He huffed in anger, stroking a strand of hair away from his face. "That's it. Once this mess is fixed, I'm transferring you to a private school in the city. This town is corrupting you with its population of bad influences." 

"You can't do this to me!" I exclaimed. "You have no right!" 

"I'm your father, I have every right! You will learn to abide by my rules again, or so help me, that mark on your face won't be the last."

He stormed out of the room, with a disappointed expression and his fists clenched hard. My mother looked at me with empathy, then left me to follow my father, begging him to listen.

Like always, I was left alone. The lawyer didn't bother to stay any longer and the principal followed suit of my father, trying to stay on his good side.

I kept my head down and stared at the floor. I tried my best to calm myself down, to think of anything else other than the unbearable urge I had to destroy everything. I stayed that way for almost an hour. 

I knew that the only person who could help me was her. She had this extraordinary way if keeping me sane, and no matter how cheesy it sounded, she is everything to me. But I couldn't cause her pain anymore. In order for her to live a normal life, I had to be out of it. 

Even just thinking about her is making my breaths became shallow, the pain in my chest to increase, but at it the same time, my head became clearer and the anger began to subside. 

How could one person have such an effect on me? Is this what loves is supposed to be like?

Is it supposed to hurt like this?

A/N;

Hi dear readers!

Thank you for sticking this long with this fanfiction and thank you for all the votes. This fanfic is the first one I ever wrote and I'm grateful that it got so much support from you guys! 

Heads up, only a few more chapters to go! So sad :( 

But I will be publishing more fanfics and my original books in the future so please look forward to it!

Thank You!