Chapter 3: Claws and Beaks

They had been running for a total of 10 minutes, the winged beasts following closely behind them. Every once in a while, Hjuirr would use his bow to shoot a couple feathers off of the Rilaks. "That's not helping, Hjuirr! If you really plan to actually kill a Rilak, you need to shoot its heart!" Dargal shouted back at him. Karnus ran ahead of them, but only because Dargal told her to. The bird-like creatures jumped around the trees, sometimes speeding towards the sky and bombing the Zaak with spears.

However, Hjuirr seemed unaffected by the dangerous act, and attempted to hit their wings. Alas, they were too fast for him, and each arrow flew past the beasts like a warm knife cutting through butter. One of them dived down and grabbed Hjuirr's long, shaggy hair, tugging on it like a rag doll. He was sent flying backwards as the Rilak caught onto a tree, it's claws digging into the rough bark. "No!" Karnus shouted as she watched her partner fly behind them and into the claws of the beast. As the blood from their beaks spilled onto his face, he screamed in horror. Then, Karnus ran towards the birds, drawing her bow.

"Get away, beast!" she screamed, shooting one of the Rilak in the neck. It thumped to the ground, grey feathers ripping from it's pink flesh. While Hjuirr remained pinned to the rough tree, the Rilak started to bite deeply on his shoulder. It thrashed its head side to side, tearing his delicate green scales. Dargal released a full attack on one of them, locking one between him and the spear. He swung the spear over its head and smashed its neck between the handle of the spear and a tree, choking it silently.

Dargal's forked tongue slipped out between pale lips and licked the air in furious relief. Karnus sprinted over to the last of the feathery behemoths, pulling its hair back and throwing it to the ground. It's wings exploded back and coated the three in fear, kissing Karnus' skin with plentiful bruises.

She smashed it one last time against a rock, crushing the Rilak's skull in a flurry of small cracks. No more sound came from the group of monsters.

"Is it bad?" Karnus asked as Dargal hurried over to Hjuirr's aid. Blood ran down his left arm, painting his tunic a dark red. "It's demolished! You think that he'll survive a Rilak attack without injuries?" Dargal explained quickly. He ripped off his shirt, taking the strap from his quiver and using them to his knowledge of recovery.

He folded the shirt into a neat pad, pressed it to his arm, and wrapped the strap tightly around the wound and pad to add pressure. Hjuirr's bleeding ceased as the enclosed tear was controlled. With a sigh, he slumped up against the tree.

With mint hair flowing in the forest breeze, he felt relieved of his stress. Perhaps it was the feeling of safety- or maybe just the blood loss- but he was truly able to relax his muscles. Karnus put her hand on his uninjured shoulder, rubbing it reassuringly. Dargal laughed pathetically, "Really an active couple, aren't you? Aye, whatever. But when you call me to the jury for a divorce... Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Dargal, don't say that. We've known each other since the beginning of time. If there's any separating to be done, it's the Zaak from the Rilak. Look at what's happening!" Karnus shouted while pointing to her lover's wound. Hjuirr tried to stand but stumbled the first few tries. Finally, with a final push, he was on his feet again. Dargal supported his friend by sliding his hand around him and holding Hjuirr close. Karnus did the same on the other side, but she was basically hugging him.

With Hjuirr's green hair flowed elegantly past his face, brown eyes scanning the area as they headed out towards the village. The three friends trekked the forest, avoiding every possible hunt. Hjuirr almost regretted leaving and missing out on what was happening. What if there is more than just us and the Rilak? What if there is something out there? he pondered. He wanted to stick to Karnus' words, those well-pronounced and smooth words. The words of the human race.

Perhaps he had been harsh on her, or maybe she had been a bit too believing. There certainly were not beings such as them, but the thought of it made him wonder if there was more to the many lands and swamps. What if the window was wide open? He did not know what held him back, if so; jobs, hunting, friends, love, or even the natural barriers themselves. If there was something out there that was untouched by the Zaak, it was bound to be Rilak territory.

"Stop here," he said sternly.

"What? Hjuirr, you're injured. It's only a matter of time before it's a scar," Karnus protested, furrowing her brows. However, they pushed him forwards anyways.

"No, you can go if you want. I'm staying here."

"That's silly. Remember the beasts you just encountered not even 10 minutes ago?"

"They're not everywhere, Karnus. I'm staying here."

"I don't know if you've noticed, but we aren't really the strongest beings compared to them. There are worse than the Rilak out there, and we aren't going to let you wander off."

Before they got the chance to hold Hjuirr back, he broke their grip and stood behind them. He held his spear at his side, holding his shoulder with the other hand. "Karnus, Dargal... I'm going to be fine. I'll see you tomorrow. Just leave me be," the olive-haired reptile said as nicely as he could.

They looked at each other with worried expressions, their eyes trailing back to their original path. "O-okay," Karnus mumbled as they parted.

Hjuirr watched them go to the outer rim of the forest, walking away as they disappeared in the mist. This must be worth what I do, he thought.