Chapter 1

Elaine's parents took her to Mamma Leone's, on West 44th Street, in celebration. They had a large family style lunch of salad, lasagna, and chocolate mousse cake. They were serenaded by a singer with an accordion. Her mother talked about the day she first arrived at Barnard. Both of her parents were very encouraging to Elaine. They said she could do great things with the right education and ideals.

Elaine's father had driven the family into Manhattan from their Scarsdale home. After lunch he drove uptown to the Barnard campus. There was no parking, so after hugs and kisses from her parents, Elaine entered the campus alone.

When she approached her assigned room, Elaine heard the rock group The Doors playing within. Elaine's roommate greeted her with a bored voice.

"Hi. I'm Betsy. I chose this bed. I hope you don't mind."

Betsy sat cross legged on one of the beds. It was a bare mattress. She had long hair and bangs like Elaine, but her hair was blonder and wavy while Elaine's was light brown and straight.

Betsy didn't get up or extend her arm for a hand shake. Elaine had been in the habit of shaking hands with people since she had spent the summer with a family in Paris on a student exchange program, but she remembered that it was different in the U.S.

Elaine said, "I'm fine with the other bed. I like the music."

She shut the door and took her luggage to her bed.

Betsy said, "Cool. I've also got some Beatles and Rolling Stones." She toyed with one of the beaded necklaces she wore.

"Both?"

"Yeah, of course. Did you bring any albums?"

"No. I didn't bring a record player. Just a radio."

Elaine opened one of the suitcases took out a clock radio, put it on the bed table, and plugged it in.

Betsy said, "That's okay. You look pretty cool. I was nervous about what my roommate would be like, you know? I mean, this college is so straight, I think. What's your name by the way?"

Elaine looked back to see Betsy roll a beaded bracelet back and forth on her right arm.

"My name is Elaine. I didn't think this school would be too straight thinking. I mean it's connected to Columbia University, where Beat writers like Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg came from."

Elaine set the clock according to her wristwatch.

"That was a long time ago, and I think the faculty is and always has been conservative. Is that why you chose this school?" Betsy frowned.

"That was part of why I liked Barnard. Also, my mother came here and really wanted me to come here as well." Elaine pulled out her linen from the open suitcase and started to make her bed.

After a brief pause, Betsy said, "I met a junior who is taking me to an open mike for poetry and folk music. It's at a bar in the Village. Do you want to come, too?"

"Sure. When are we going to go?"

"I think around seven. We'll meet her for dinner at six. The cafeteria is open, and we might as well take advantage of our meal plan."

"It's okay if I don't perform for the open mike, isn't it?"

"I'm just going to hear them out, myself. Have you ever done drugs yourself?"

Elaine sat down on her bed facing Betsy and answered, "No. My father's a doctor. He says drugs destroy your brain cells and any apparent creativity is an induced psychosis. I'll have more freedom of mind without drugs. I can appreciate the creative work of people who do use drugs and keep the flexibility to use that way of thinking myself, without losing part of my intellect."

"Oh. That's heavy."

"Have you used drugs?"

"Oh, no. I've had a very sheltered life. I was in the honors program in high school, and my parents vetted Barnard as not being druggie. My father and I argue about my hair and clothes, but Mom says it's just the fashion, so I get my peasant blouses and beads."

The Doors album came to an end.

Betsy asked, "You don't mind going to a bar, though, do you?"

"No. I can just have a soda. I won't stop anyone else from enjoying what they like. I'm going for the company and the entertainment, though. Not to drink alcohol."

Elaine went over to the desk and chair closest to her bed.

She said, "The lighting isn't very good here. I'll need a desk lamp."

Betsy said, "We can go to Woolworth's together tomorrow. I need to get paper and things, anyway."

"Don't they have those things at the college bookstore?"

"I don't know. Woolworth's has good prices and I like to shop in Midtown."