Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

Hermione paled but her determination didn't waver, much to Harry's dismay. "So I don't know much magic, big deal. I have a Level 23 Paladin, so I know a thing or two about strategising I can tell you." She jutted her chin at Malfoy. "Not to mention field medicine, survival techniques, orienteering. I'm probably more equipped than both of you!"  

Harry exchanged a look with Malfoy. He hadn't thought about any of those other things. He knew far better than to disregard Hermione's intelligence and know-how, maybe she could be an asset to them? 

"Well it's not up to you," said Parvati in a prissy tone, folding her arms and not looking at Malfoy. "It's up to Harry." 

"And I still say no," said Harry, shaking his head and dismissing his previous thought. "Look, I'm sorry, I really appreciate what you're doing but you have no idea what these people are capable of." 

"And you do?" countered Seamus. "You've fought so many Death Eaters?" 

Harry wanted to tell him how very true that was. 

"I don't have a choice," he said instead, "My sister, my prophecy, my problem." 

"Wrong," said Seamus. "What kind of friends would we be if we just let you do this alone? No one else can help, Malfoy said, anyone of age is tagged. We're your only option." 

"No," said Malfoy pointedly. "Our other option is to go alone, and that's what we'll be doing. You'll only get in the way." 

"Do you think my parents just let us sit and home and paint our nails for the past three years?" snapped Parvati, rounding on him. "I am not some illiterate child, I'll have you know I am excellent at Charms and Potions, and like Seamus said, Harry is our friend, we are not going to abandon him just because it's dangerous. Everything's dangerous nowadays." 

"You can't argue with the numbers," said Seamus. "You're saying Harry has some special..." he waved his hands around. "Thing or whatever with You-Know-Who, that he's from some special bloodline and is destined to fight him?" He dropped his hands. "Sounds like codswallop to me, but whilst you boys are twiddling your wands trying to figure it out, mightn't it be nice to have a couple of extra pairs of hands to look for Sarah?" 

Malfoy blew out a very impatient breath. "We'll be just fine," he said. "Won't we Potter?" 

He looked at Harry for affirmation, but a doubt had flickered in his mind. If it came between rescuing Sarah or facing Voldemort, could he choose? Would he have the option to chose?  

But what was he thinking, of letting them come just in case that happened? It was far more likely they would get into some life-threatening situation, what would they do then? They were so adamant all three of them about coming, not even a note of hesitation, but did they really understand the risk?  

Hermione was so inexperienced, she knew literally no magic, the worst she'd had to deal with up until this point were school bullies. Yet he never would have got the Philosopher's Stone without her gall and logic back in their First Year. In his own world Seamus was fearless and Parvati tenacious he knew, and maybe as a team they would stand a better chance of coming out of this the other side. 

But it was dangerous, he knew he shouldn't be considering their coming, it was selfish. It must have shown on his face, because Malfoy's grey eyes widened. "Potter?" he said, half a question and half a threat. 

Harry made a snap decision. "We can talk about it more on the bus, we're wasting time." He took his wand and gave a single swoosh down with his full arm. 

Malfoy let out an infuriated cry. "You cannot be serious!" he cried as the rumble of the approaching bus filled the air. 

"Told you it was up to Harry," gloated Parvati.