Malfoy nodded. "Yes," he said stiffly. "Of course. Just...I'd appreciate it if people stopped trying to punch me." 

"Done," said Remus diplomatically as James' temper flared again, but he stayed back with a look from Remus. "Everyone, inside. It's too cold to think out here and we can't waste a second more than we have to." 

James took a second, but then he nodded, and, with a weary look at Malfoy, stormed back up the pathway. Lily and Sirius followed, then Remus ushered the teenagers to do the same.  

Hermione was stood shivering, despite being one of the only people still wearing a coat, her face taut with shock. "Are you okay?" Harry asked as he approached her. 

She widened her eyes. "Me?" she said. "What about you guys?" They began making their way back to the house, Malfoy awkwardly behind them, and Remus keeping the hurried pace at the end. Harry just shook his head. He didn't have the words to explain the turmoil he was feeling right then.  

Seamus and Parvati were waiting for them halfway between the house and the road. Parvati was hugging herself, tears tracking lines through her makeup down her cheeks, and Seamus had his hands stuffed into his pockets, his shoulders hunched. "I'm so sorry mate," he said as Parvati launched herself and threw her arms around Harry. 

"This is awful!" she cried into his ear. He managed to persuade her to let him go, and together they all poured back into the warmth of the hallway, Remus slamming the door behind them.  

"How could we have let this happen?" asked Sirius, but Remus didn't respond. He just continued shooing until everyone was back into the living room. No one sat, they were all too fraught, so instead a sort of circle was formed. James and Lily were clinging to each other, shivering despite being back in the warmth and staring blankly into the middle distance. Parvati and Seamus tucked themselves into a corner again, aware they were intruding on something deeply personal, and Sirius hovered by James' other shoulder. Remus stood by him, and then Harry entered, standing by the archway where Wormtail had stood for most of his interrogation. Hermione was keeping close to him, her arms wrapped around her body as she watched everyone, taking everything in. And then Malfoy. Malfoy came and stood by Harry's other shoulder.  

Harry couldn't recall ever being this close to the Slytherin unless they were physically attacking one another. Malfoy seemed aware of their proximity too, not too near, but definitely allying himself with Harry within a foot or so. The two boys caught eyes for a moment, then turned back to the room as everyone settled in their place. 

"Where is my daughter?" growled Lily. Her face was still wet but the tears had now stopped.  

Malfoy swallowed audibly. "I assume Wormtail meant," he said, making eye contact with each adult in the room in turn but finishing with Lily. "That he's taken her to the headquarters, You-Know-Who's current base of operations." 

"Which is where?" demanded James. 

"I can't," said Malfoy regretfully. "Tell you, it's protected."  

"Then what did Peter mean-?" Sirius started to shout, but Malfoy waved him down.  

"But I can show you, I know the back way in. That's why I was sent to get Harry." He glanced at Harry, who was not at all reassured.  

"You came here to take Harry to You-Know-Who?" cried Lily in horror. 

"No," said Malfoy, trying to sound affirmative. "No, that wasn't the plan, I mean, not right away-" 

"Start at the beginning," instructed Remus, his tone cold. "The quicker we understand the quicker we can work out how we can help Sarah." 

Malfoy blinked then nodded. "Yeah, sure," he said, then took a breath and seemed to consider. "I am sorry," he said, those grey eyes wide again. Harry was so used to seeing him scowling or smirking it was strange to see his face in an honest composition. "This has all gone so wrong, it was only supposed to be your family home."