Carley & Liam

I sat on my bed, blankly staring at the summer assignment in front of me. I just couldn’t do it, though- my mind was in other places.

Giving up entirely, I put my pencil down and laid back. I still had a month left of summer- I could do this another time.

I closed my eyes and listened to the quiet house around me. Suddenly, my ears picked up a subtle tapping from the window. I sat up quickly, looking over at the window to see if the noise came again. A few seconds later, a pebble flew up and hit the window. Someone was trying to get my attention, and I had a bit of an idea to who it was. I hoped I was right.

I walked over and opened the window, staring down at my front lawn. There, as I presumed, stood my neighbor. The sight of him made me smile uncontrollably.

“What are you doing, Liam?” I leaned out to get a better look at him. He was wearing his usual plaid shirt and jeans, his hear swept to the side.

“You told me during my last visit that you wanted to go to a skate park, so I’m taking you to a skate park.” He yelled, a silly smirk playing on his lips.

I was shocked that he could remember something so insignificant that happened months ago. It only made me like him more. “That was a while ago, and this is your first weekend home since then.” I sighed. I wanted to be with him, but it was impossible. “You should be with your family.”

“Oh, come on, Carley! They’ve seen me for eighteen years. What’s the harm with a few more hours?” He waved me down, laughing. “Come on!”

“No, Liam- be with your family!” I answered, but inside I wanted to accept. I had known Liam for a couple of years now; I moved to Wolverhampton when he was 13 and I was 11. I stayed by his side through everything. I knew firsthand how much the Payne’s missed him when he was away, and I wished that he wouldn’t waste him time on me.

“Look, I’m not going till you come outside!” He crossed his arms over his chest, the smile never leaving his face.

I groaned and closed the window. Another thing I had learned in the six years of knowing him? Liam was very stubborn and stayed true to his word. If he said he wasn’t leaving- he wasn’t leaving. I changed from the raggedy pajamas I had been lounging in to a pair of distressed, light pink shorts and a black and white patterned crop top. Too lazy to do anything more, I left my brown hair up in a messy bun.

I slipped some white Toms on before leaving the house and shouted a goodbye to my parents.

“Liam, I’m not going to a skate park with you right now.” I tell him as I walk down the pathway. “Go hang out with your dad or something.”

I stood in front of him and cocked my hip, waiting for him to respond. There was a devilish glint in his eye and I knew he was about to do something. Before I could protest or run back into the house, he dashed forward, too quickly for me to register. He then grabbed me by the waist and threw my body over his shoulder as if I was a bag of flour.

“Liam!” I gasped in shock as he walked away, still carrying me. “What are you doing?!”

“We’re going skating.” He chuckles and opens his car door, gently placing me inside.

“Why are you so stubborn?!” I laugh and buckle myself in as he walks over to the driver’s side.

“I think Lou’s rubbing off on me.” Liam looked over at me as he turned on the engine, a look of mock worry on his face.

I grabbed his cheeks, making him look like a lost puppy. “Aw, is Daddy Direction gonna turn into Mr. Sassypants?”

As Liam pulled out of his house, we continued talking about the boys. He told me about all of the crazy things they did- on and off stage. I couldn’t stop laughing as he told me the stories, and I couldn’t wait to meet these boys in person.

We arrived at the park, my stomach lurching at the size of the ramps and the speed of the skaters. I’d been skating before, but never at a place like this. I closed the car door behind me and stood in awe as the skaters whizzed around, performing many impressive tricks. There was no doubt that I would look like a five year old next to them.

Liam put his hand on the small of my back, sending shivers down my spine. In all of the years that I had known him, I had to admit that I had formed a crush.

Liam gently pushed me towards the entrance, our footsteps mixing into an offbeat melody as our shoes scuffed the concrete. We walked up to a stand near the entrance the advertised rentals.

“Two boards and two sets of protective pads please.” Liam asked politely, his deep voice making my heart race. He paid, handing me my own board and pads. I muttered a thank you, hoping that he took my silence as being nervous about the skating. I still couldn’t believe that he remembered.

Liam led me over to a bench inside the park and we both sat down, strapping on our gear.

“You alright, love? You look nervous.” Liam asked me, his voice filled with concern.

I shook it off, standing up with my skateboard in hand. “Yeah. I’m alright.”

He smiled and stood up, grabbing his own board. We walked over to the first bowl and I looked down the edge, my heart in about to leap out of my throat.

Cautiously, I put down my board next to the edge and put one foot on. I looked over at Liam, terrified.

“You know how to skate, right?” I ask him, trying to stay optimistic.

“A little- Zayn taught me.”

I laughed. “A little! Well, that’s reassuring.” I took a deep breath and shook my hands, hoping that it was possible to shake away all of my fears. I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the fall.

“Don’t leave me.” I whisper.

I felt Liam’s hand slip into mine, our fingers intertwining.

“Never.”