The Parade

MASSIVE thank you to everyone who is now following or favoriting my story! I hope you love the new update! :)

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'"

~ Eleanor Roosevelt ~

CHAPTER 3

The Parade

Caroline stepped into the auditorium, all prepped and ready to go as the tribute parade got closer. It's been a couple of years since she last saw her stylist and prep team, so as expected, they were incredibly excited to be working on her again. They mentioned a few times that she had been their favorite tribute to work on over the years. She kept silent as they rambled, just wanting it all to be over and done with. Luckily it didn't take too long since she had to groom herself quite often as it was.

Her stylist, Pearl, wasn't too bad for a person if you discount the fact that she dresses people up to be executed, year after year. Her taste in style was still impeccable because as much as she hated to admit it, the outfits she's been given over the years were amazing. The same could be said for the dress she was currently wearing right now.

It was a simple design with nothing too extravagant compared to what it could have been. It was toned to a color blue that reminded her of the ocean back home in District 4 with a dark undertone of teal mixed in. The material was some kind of silk so it felt cool against her skin. The neckline plunged just enough that her breasts were adequately covered. At the same time, it still showed off every perfect feature her body had to offer and every curve was perfectly sculpted within the fabric. As much as it disgusted her to know, she knew the Capitol would go crazy for any bit of skin she was showing.

The front of the skirt reached to the top edge of her knees while the back draped down to the floor so it dragged slightly. She wore a pair of black sandal heels with three silver-jeweled embellished straps above her toes and another around her ankle to keep the shoe on. Her hair had light curls in it that was pinned back a little with a crown of pearls centered on the top of her head. The gems glittered in the light and shone against her strawberry blonde hair.

She gazed around the room to see that the majority of past Victors had already arrived and most were just standing by their chariots with their district partners. A lot of them she knew, a few she did not. Some as passing acquaintances, and others a little closer that she could almost say they were friends. For the most part, the Victors only got along (loosely speaking) because they were all stuck on the same path. Victors had very few endings and their futures were more or less already determined up until the moment they die.

There were only two people, in particular, she was interested in finding at this moment in time.

Caroline was momentarily startled when she felt a loose breath enter her left ear and a pair of hands gently grasp her hips. She felt a heat against her back as a chest leaned into her. A head tilted into her shoulder, connecting with her hair slightly as a husky voice appeared with it.

"Can I just say ... you look positively scrumptious in that dress, Miss Winters."

She already knew who it was since no one else would dare touch her without expecting a broken bone ... possibly a skull, maybe even a pelvis and some family jewels to add on.

Caroline couldn't help but let out a smile from the compliment. Her eyes brightened a little, despite where they were and what they were being thrust into. The tone of his voice made her shiver a little with goosebumps making their way to the surface. "Thank you, Mr. Odair." She replied when a grin started growing on her lips. She moved away from him slightly, ready to turn and face him. "And you look..."