The guy walked up to the front of the room and greeted John like they were old friends, slapping each other’s shoulders and laughing away about something or other.  I was about to look away, when the guy clapped his hands together once and turned towards all of us.

“Hey, newbies!  I’m Harry, and it’s great that all of you are joining us this summer.  It’s gonna be wicked.  Every summer, we have a start party to kick things off for the park, right here at eight-thirty tonight.  You guys should all come, of course.  And wear your swimsuits!” he shouted to be heard over all the chatter going on.

A couple people cheered and then he was ignored again.  I kept an eye on him, though.  He was still talking animatedly to John.  Once I had everything in my bag, I fished out my car keys and glanced one more time at the boy, before turning around and leaving.  If I was being honest with myself, I probably wasn’t gonna come tonight.  I know I was only making it harder for myself to make friends, but I didn’t really feel in the mood for a party, not that I’d ever gone to any to know what one was like.

____________________________

When I got home, I sat in my car for a second, preparing myself for my ‘family’, if that’s what you could call it.  I unlocked the front door and closed it behind me as quietly as possible.  I could hear my mom in the kitchen, and I really didn’t feel like talking to her right now.  I climbed the stairs and retreated into my room, shutting my door and dropping my bag on the floor by my desk.  I collapsed face down on my bed and lied there for a little bit.  I felt exhausted only after orientation.  I couldn’t imagine what it would be like working for twelve hours in one day.

I shut my eyes for a little bit, but it must’ve been longer than I thought because when I opened my eyes it was darker outside and the clock read 8:15 p.m.

I could hear talking from downstairs, letting me know that my mom’s boyfriend was probably here.  Now, that was someone that I could honestly say I never felt like talking to. Miles.  I had no idea what my mom saw in him.

“Niall!  Are you home?” I heard my mom’s voice echo throughout the house.

I didn’t answer, but once I heard footsteps walking up the stairs, I realized it was the wrong choice.  My door opened and instead of seeing my mom walk in, it was Miles.

“Hey, bud.  Your mother just finished dinner.  Are you gonna come down?”

‘Bud.’ I hated how he talked to me like I was twelve.

“Actually, I’m not feeling that great.  I think I’m gonna stay up here and rest,” I turned my head away and remained laying down.

“No, I think you’ll be joining us.  You know, your mom didn’t have such a good day today, so I think we owe her a family dinner.  She’ll only worry about you if you stay up here, and that would be kind of selfish of you, don’t you think?” I didn’t answer.  “Well, it would be, so let’s not be selfish.  Come on.”

I heard him walk out of the room, but I didn’t follow right behind.  I hated Miles.  It was like he was never mean enough for my mother to notice, but just enough that I couldn’t stand talking to him.  He always found a way to make me look like the bad guy.

Reluctantly, I sat up and swung my legs over the side of the bed.  I held my face in my hands for a long moment, not ready to face my ‘family’ just yet.  Miles was bad enough with just himself, but his obnoxious daughter really completed the pair.  She was my age, but completely and utterly different from me.  She was the social type, always obsessed with being better than me and making more friends than me.  She didn’t even need to try.  I didn’t have any friends anyway.