Chapter 16

Here's a short chapter! I know it's been a while, but I'm really struggling with keeping up on updates. I have a lot of work at school and I'm especially busy with college applications and everything. So I hope you enjoy this chapter. Just a little excitement :)))

___________________________

I showed up at work early on Monday, although it turned out to be in vain.  Harry wasn’t there yet.  In fact, it came around to opening time and he still wasn’t there.  I started thinking that maybe he didn’t work today.  Maybe he’d told me he wasn’t coming and I’d forgotten.  I checked the schedule, but his name was still listed for work all day.

I pulled out my phone and called him, but it went straight to voicemail.  I left a message anyway, asking him where he was and if everything was alright.  I asked some people if they knew why he was late-Craig, Jesse, Becca-but no one seemed to know (or even seemed half as worried as I was).

We had to report to our first stations, and I knew I wasn’t supposed to, but I grabbed my phone and put it in my hip pack, just in case Harry tried to call me.  He knew I was working and probably wouldn’t have my phone on me, but I was willing to get in trouble if it turned out that he did try to call.

I made it through my first rotation distractedly, making my way to the break room quickly so I could pull out my phone.  Harry hadn’t called yet, but I didn’t have to wait long.  As soon as I was seated and pulled out my phone, the screen lit up with his contact.  I answered it hurriedly and pressed it to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Niall, hey.  I didn’t think you’d pick up.”

“Harry, where are you?”

“Um, well I thought I should call you first, but I need to call John in a second.  It’s not a big deal, but I got in like a tiny fender-bender on my way to work this morning.”

Harry interrupted me when I tried to butt-in.

“I’m fine, Niall.  Don’t worry.  They just needed to take me to the hospital to check everything just in case.  I’m home now and everything’s fine.”

“Oh my God, Harry.  What happened? With the accident, I mean?  Are you okay?  Is everyone okay?”

“Yeah, I was just turning left on a green arrow, and I guess the guy on the opposite side of the intersection just saw green and didn’t realize he was in a left-turn lane, so he drove straight and hit my car.”

“Harry!  That’s not a fender-bender!  That’s a wreck!  How did you get home from the hospital?  You didn’t drive yourself, did you?”

“Um...no.  I didn’t...drive.”

“Harry...what aren’t you telling me?”

“My car...was kind of...well, totalled….”

“Totalled?!  Shit, Harry.  Are you really alright?  Please tell me the truth.”

“I’m okay, Ni.  Really.  I’m at home, like I said.  If I was really hurt, they’d have kept me at the hospital.”

“...okay.  I believe you.  Sort of.”

Harry gave a small laugh that made my chest hurt.

“I was thinking..maybe we could move our movie night to tonight?  Get an early start?  I can’t come to work today, which is why I have to call John, but I still...want to see you…”

I swallowed.

“Yeah, Harry.  That sounds nice.  I’ll come over right after work.”

“Awesome.  I can’t wait.”

I smiled.

“Hey, your day off is tomorrow, isn’t it?”

“Uh, I think so.  Why?”

“Well, you should stay over tonight.  You know, like a sleepover.”

“Wow.  Trying to get me to sleepover after the first date?  Cheeky, Styles.”

“Shut up,” I could feel him grinning through the phone. “So, will you?”

“Am I gonna get to meet the fam?”

I asked it jokingly, but I really wanted to.  I didn’t even really know what Harry’s ‘family’ consisted of.  He hadn’t really talked a lot about it.

“Sure, my mom will be here.  But not my brother.”

That made me pause.

“Brother?”

“Yeah, a little one.  So are you staying or not?  I need to know whether I should be cleaning my room right now,” he laughed to himself.

I’d noticed that he changed the subject, but I decided not to say anything.

“Yeah.  I’ll just have to grab a bag from my house before I come over.”

“Sweet.  See ya then.”

“Bye, Harry.”

“Bye, Niall.”

I hung up the phone and placed it on the table.

So Harry had a brother.  A little brother.  And I was meeting his mom.  Tonight.  I took a deep breath and released it.