"Yeah, okay," Xanthy sighed and dropped back against the mattress. Her eyes studied the bare, gray ceiling. The Temple could use a talented muralist. "Maybe that is why I wanted to go to the Palace to at least make it up to the Draswists. I mean, it is my fault that they are purged in the first place."

"Why would you even think that?" Nyxis asked.

Xanthy reached up and twisted a lock of hair with her finger. "The Civil Guards are looking for me," she sighed. "They just disguised the whole thing as a purge so they can detain me."

"Back up a second," Nyxis's tone was confused. "Why are they after you?"

"I am the Virtakios," Xanthy blurted. The words that flew out of her mouth and their certain order and combination sounded so wrong yet somehow...right. In an ideal world, Xanthy and Virtakios shouldn't even come within a thousand distance's radius around each other.

Nyxis was silent.

"Nyxis?" Xanthy called.

Nyxis's legs flinched. "Yes?" he cleared his throat. "Virtakios, huh? How does that feel?"

"It sucks, really," Xanthy stuck her bottom lip out as she grimaced. "There is a prophecy that says I am going to save the world. With a power I could not even control."

"The world is bigger than you thought, I take it?" Nyxis said.

Xanthy snorted. "A lot bigger," she chuckled without humor. "Nobody even told me klaire fruits are not meant to be eaten."

Nyxis gave her a light laugh. Silence coated the air for a few seconds.

"So, what do you plan to do now?" Nyxis asked.

Xanthy pushed herself up and leaned her back against the mattress pressed to the wall. Just like that, she and Nyxis were back in this position. "I still feel like I have to go to the Palace," she played with her fingers and scratched at her palms. "I have to save my friends."

Something rustled and clunked. Xanthy glanced at Nyxis to find him peering over his reflection over his handheld mirror. He caught her staring and he flashed a smile at her. "Do I look okay?"

Xanthy fought the rush of blood into her cheeks. More than okay, she wanted to blurt but that would be improper. She didn't have much experience about boys her age. Still, Nyxis's face was one of the most eye-pleasing things she had seen. Of course, she'd never say that aloud in front of his face or anywhere with the same air he was breathing.

"Yeah, fine," Xanthy flashed him an alright-gesture. "Why are you always checking your reflection, anyway?"

"Force of habit," was Nyxis' muttered answer.

After a few seconds, Nyxis tore his attention away from his reflection and turned to her. "So, are you going to disobey Vikara and go to the Palace?" he asked.

Xanthy snorted. "Vikara will kill me if I do," she pursed her lips. "Have you seen how fast that woman could swing a dagger? How about no? I will stay here."

Nyxis raised an eyebrow. Xanthy clicked her tongue. "Okay, I do really want to go," she groaned. "Why must things be so complicated?"

"If it is easy, we would not bother living, at all," Nyxis chuckled. Xanthy opened her mouth only to close it again. Huh. Good point.

"So?" Nyxis prodded.

Xanthy punched him lightly on the arm. "You enabler," she teased as she crossed her arms. "Fine, I will go. I will save my friends. You sure you do not want to come?"

Nyxis shook his head and gasped out a small laugh. "Are you kidding? My mother will skin me alive if I ever stepped foot inside the Royalty region," his face turned serious. "Besides, I do not think I would be able to face them again."

"Why not?" Xanthy cocked her head to one side.

"I disappeared for years and now I would suddenly pop up like a sempervivum bush?" Nyxis dusted imaginary dirt from the sleeves of his faded tunic. "My mother is not a forgiving person. My older brother is not exactly the best one around, either."

Xanthy grinned. "Oooh. You have a big brother?"

"Please, do not," Nyxis buried his face in his hand. "Let us just say that they would not be thrilled to see me again. And I, the same."

"Geez," Xanthy breathed. "Everything is complicated."

Nyxis snorted in reply.

"Is it alright if I call you 'Nyxis'?" Xanthy knitted her eyebrows as she angled her shoulders towards him. "Do I not have to address you by your fancy title and such?"

Nyxis rolled his eyes. "Do not patronize me. 'Nyxis' is fine."

Xanthy nodded. "Okay, Nyxis," she raised her eyes to meet his. Her heart had never felt this light in such a long time. "Thank you."

"For what?" Nyxis raised an eyebrow.

Xanthy bumped her shoulder against his. "For listening."

"Are you going to be alright?" Nyxis's eyebrows met as concern marred his features.

"I will try," Xanthy answered with a smile she hadn't shown anyone in a long, long time.