The door slammed in Xanthy's face before she could react to June's sentiment. Xanthy let him.

Xanthy clutched her chest and closed her eyes. Her heart quivered along with the storm of her emotions. She leaned against the door and blinked away the tears that threatened to fall.

She couldn't care less if June gave up on her. In fact, she didn't care about anything at all. It's like everything she touched would eventually crumble to dust. Then, the wind would swoop in and blow the remnants away, leaving her with nothing.

Tears broke free from her eyes and she didn't bother wiping them away. A hypocrite. That's what she was. And would ever be. June was right about one thing. She wanted to save the Draswists to prove that she wasn't as evil as she witnessed herself to be. That inside her, beyond the influence of that darkness, there was still a shred of good. Somewhere.

Like June, perhaps she was looking for light in this world of darkness. She was on her own. Groping around. Feeling the world. Making mistakes that cost too much. Perhaps, that was meant to be her destiny. Forever.

"Well, that is a bummer," Nyxis scratched his temple and dropped his chin into his palm

"Well, that is a bummer," Nyxis scratched his temple and dropped his chin into his palm. "He should not have said that."

Xanthy squealed in frustration as she paced. Nyxis had found Xanthy earlier and thirty minutes had passed since Xanthy started ranting about how everything in her life went wrong. Not only was she left out like a used rag, she also got her intentions questioned and her motives doubted.

"You should not have said that, either," Nyxis continued. Xanthy stopped pacing to whirl to him.

"Whose side are you on?" she demanded.

Nyxis shrugged. "No one's," he scratched his head. "From what I can see, you should have given him the chance to process his feelings before promising to change. You did not even apologize properly."

Xanthy grunted and plopped into the mattress beside Nyxis. "What should have I said after he made me feel worse than I already felt when all I wanted was to make sure he is alright after having his secret exposed in such an unexpected turn of events?"

Xanthy rubbed her face and let her body fall sideways. Her head was inches from Nyxis's outstretched legs. "I mean, why would he even get angry at me?" she laid her hands in front of her and frowned.

"Well, you did tell him half-bloods are bloodthirsty monsters because you thought he is human," Nyxis reasoned. "I would have been angry that you suddenly decided to make up and cover up your mistake as soon you realized he is one."

That...made sense.

"What should I even do now?" Xanthy propped herself up with her arm. The mattress ate away at her body. "I think we both know at this point that I suck at apologizing."

Nyxis touched his chin. "Give him time," he crossed his legs. "Then, make it up to him by genuinely learning about fairies and half-bloods. Surround yourself with them to learn that they are not as bloodthirsty as you think they are."