His hands paused from pounding a pinch of small, dark seeds. "I..am no one," he gripped the pestle and half-heartedly began driving it against the seeds. "Why would you want to know about that?"

Because she's looking for someone to trust. Because everyone seemed to have ulterior motives other than helping her. Instead, she opened her mouth and said, "Nothing," she pressed her back against the cold, stone wall. "What will you do now?"

Nyxis sniffed and muttered under his breath about an ingredient lacking in the mixture. He rummaged inside his satchel again. "I am not sure," he answered as he drew out a vial containing a colorless liquid. "I am afraid that people are going to be hurt if I do not do something."

Dread coated Xanthy's gut. "This is war," she breathed when she realized the gravity of the situation. She inclined her head at Nyxis's direction. "People are expected to get hurt."

"Which makes this all the more harder," Nyxis cursed as he transferred a small amount of the grounded seeds into a clean vial. "Because I wanted all of this to stop as well. At the same time, I do not want to lose them."

Xanthy's eyebrows met. "Lose who?"

"People important to me," Nyxis answered flatly. Then, he shook his head.

"Why would you lose them?" Xanthy drew her legs to her chest and hugged her knees. "Are they in the army?"

Nyxis dunked a different type of herb into the vial he's holding. "No," he sighed and passed Xanthy her potion. "They are everything this coup stood against."

Xanthy took a sip from the vial. She gagged when a rotting taste touched her tongue. "What in Umazure is this?" she coughed as she wiped the sides of her mouth free from the substance's influence.

"Oh, sorry," Nyxis dunked his head and snatched the vial from her hand. "I forgot to add in the flavor. Which one do you want? Pumkess?"

Xanthy clicked her tongue. "Anything other than those bland starch produces," she tapped her chin. "Ajilte, perhaps?"

"Got it," Nyxis nodded and rummaged around his satchel while Xanthy thought about his answer.

"Why would they stand against the coup?" Xanthy scratched at the skirt draped over her knees. She should get a more comfortable outfit...but where and how?

Nyxis clapped his hands over the vial and muttered a spell. The contents of the vial bubbled before crackling and turning colorless in a few seconds. He handed the vial back to her.

Xanthy raised an eyebrow and repeated her question. "Why would they stand against the coup?"

"Because they are the very ones this coup wishes to end," Nyxis snapped. Then he sighed as he averted his eyes. "I am Nyxis Helgase. Second in line to the throne of Cardina. The tyranny Vikara and the others talked about is my family."

The potion didn't quite reach Xanthy's lips as she froze mid-swig. "You..." her hand set the vial down on the marble floor. "You are the prince? Why did you not say anything?"

Nyxis rolled his shoulders. "What difference would it make?" He deposited the remaining grounded seeds from the mortar into a new vial. How many empty vials did he even have in his person? "I would not aid in my family's ruin."

Xanthy stuck her bottom lip out. She took a sip from her vial. Her toes curled from the explosion of ajilte sweetness in her mouth. Mm. That's more like it. "How did you even end up at the bakery, anyway?" she asked. "That is a long way from the Palace."

"It is a long story," Nyxis shut his satchel with a slap. "One I am not sure we have the time for."

Xanthy snorted, dunked her potion in one gulp, and stood up. She strode towards one mattress and began hauling it towards Nyxis. The boy chuckled softly. He looks better when he's smiling. "What are you doing?" his amusement shone through his voice.