c h a p t e r / f o u r

^ Adelaide's outfit for this chapter.

|/|/\|\|

"Adelaide, we need to talk."

I spin around in my three-inch heels, searching the hallway for the source of the voice. Of course, it has to be Drayden.

Beautiful.

I sigh, not really in the talking mood. "What?" I snap.

He just looks at me in the eyes, since we're basically the same height. Actually, I'm about an inch taller than him because of my heels.

"Will you stop wearing those?" He asks, pointing to my shoes. "Your making me feel so damn short," he whines, crossing his arms.

I smirk. "Awe, is someone's pride bruised?"

Before he can answer, a low voice rings out through out the entire hallway, making everyone freeze. "Adelaide, can I see you in my office, please?"

Ah, shit. It's the boss.

"Aaaand that's what I wanted to talk to you about," Drayden says, looking down at the ground with his hands shoved in his jean pockets.

I close my eyes, and clutch my laptop against me. Biting down on the bottom of my lip in a poor attempt of not snapping at Drayden, I turn around and begin to walk towards Mr. Ferasko himself.

I'm betting all the money in the world that it's about last night, probably because I have never failed a mission before, and... well, I failed.

Mr Ferasko is dressed in a navy blue suit, adding to his intimidation. His dark hair is gelled back in a perfectly neat manner, while his hazel eyes stare down hardly at me.

Unlike his son, Mr Ferasko is about four inches taller than me, even when I'm wearing my heels.

Maybe Drayden got his height from his moms side?

Once inside of his spacious office, I take a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. Attempting to maintain my nervousness but failing, I look around his bare office, noticing his lack of decorations. The walls are a light grey, while his oak desk with matching oak bookcase up against the wall, seem to be the only things really sticking out.

He sighs, then slowly eases himself into the ginormous brown swivel chair across from me.

"Both you and Tyler failed in killing Arlin Fairburn last night, yes?" He asks, getting straight to the point.

"You are correct."

The tension in the room was almost unbearable. Mr Ferasko knew of his sons feelings towards me, and the possibility of me returning those feelings. But I know that that's not the only reason for the tension.

Mr Ferasko has always been strict. With everyone, especially me. Partially because of Drayden and I, but also because I wasn't even supposed to be involved in the UA. That, and I turned out to be really good at what I do, and he wasn't very happy that I succeeded in this business.

"You do realize that Arlin Fairburn is one of the smartest, most manipulative assassins in the world, do you not?"

I tried to contain my surprise, but I truthfully had no idea. Hermione hadn't given me any background information, and neither had Drayden.

"You didn't know?" He asks, not surprised.

I shake my head. "Neither Hermione nor Drayden would tell me anything." I didn't want to throw them under the bus, but I wasn't going to look like a complete idiot on my own.