"Don't apologise!" Alvar howled and shoved Lucius back to the ground before he could get up.

Lucius tackled Alvar with a cry and the two began to wrestle; Alvar laughing and Lucius angrily trying to gain the upper hand.

"While I'm glad you are all relaxed," Ly entered the room, her power flowing in an invisible black mass around her, "we have work to do."

Alvar and Lucius broke apart, smiles gone. I wondered briefly how she had descended the tower so quickly. When Ly turned away, Alvar snickered. Lucius punched him. Rolling my eyes, I followed after her, ready to explore the new power that had managed to throw a member of the Kings White Guard across the room.

"I have arranged a space for you to experiment with your powers for the next few weeks. And an elder of magic will visit every morning to give you a task." Ly spoke as she pushed open the doors that led into a burnt field out the back of the castle.

"Weeks? Don't we need to get out of here?" I asked, concerned.

"Yes, we do. But I have seen the outcomes if you do not train, and in order for us to be successful you must strengthen before we attempt to be successfully bound. Otherwise, the force we need to use will rebound and destroy this plane completely."

She was matter of fact about it, which only made the concept of imminent failure more terrifying.

"Great," I said sarcastically under my breath.

"It will all be fine so long as you train every day and don't slack off."

Ly stopped in front of a small section of the field, the grass cleared in a circle. When she raised her hand, two large Wraiths materialised.

"These two will get you whatever you require as I am busy today. I still have most of the survivors housed in the castle, and it's beginning to become overcrowded. Have your gryphon help you today as well. And please, only call me if you are in desperate need."

Ly's lips were pressed together, none of her words forming a question. I simply nodded, not wanting to make her angry. It was strange, not knowing how my darker self would respond to given situations. I could only assume what would piss me off would do the same to her also, so noted to shy away from any annoying behaviours. Alvar and Lucius had stopped behind us and were staring at the Wraiths with a mixture of disgust and curiosity. Ly nodded and turned to go.

"Wait!" I called, she turned with a raised brow, "is all the food safe to eat here? I was only allowed to eat certain things before, and I'm starved."

"I imagine the latest development of your strength will keep you from dying if you eat our food. But stick to what the cooks give you, and don't ask for seconds. Lots of people are starving here, especially those that don't feed like we do."

Smiling tightly, she turned and was gone; stalking back towards her castle. I crinkled my nose just thinking about the kind of things some of the creatures ate. I knew some in the First Plane ate all kinds of horrendous things, including humans, and wondered if it was the same for the Shadows. But the thought of people starving killed the small itches of hunger in my gut, and would keep the sensation at bay for hours.

Beast landed heavily on the other side of the field, blood on his mouth. He had killed a rodent; one of the less developed shadow species, and didn't like the taste. The sun reflected off his shiny golden feathers as he approached, refracting tiny rays of light onto the burnt brown grass. I smiled. Beast rammed his head softly into my stomach, waiting for a scratch on his neck.

"I have come to assist you."

A man in a long black robe materialised in the centre of the clearing. I jumped back and Beast surged forwards to create a barrier. The man waved at Beast, unaffected by his aggressive stance, twinkling his fingers. Lucius snorted, earning him a wink from the black robed man. Alvar looked at me sideways, a smile playing on his lips.