Chapter 2: Things That I Hate #3

The next morning passed by the same as yesterday; wake up, wash up, eat, get dressed, leave.

"Hey, I'm gonna go to class early." I told Carly during lunch.

"Okay, see you!" she replied.

I got up from my seat and walked out of the cafeteria. My next class is math, and I wanted to get a good seat. We didn't have it yesterday because we had some presentation about the dress code in the cafeteria. Fun stuff.

I quickly got to my locker, grabbed my things, and headed to room 113. When I got there, I was surprised to see that a group of people were already there. Maxwell Reynolds, Andrew Parker and Kyle Sheckler to be exact. I mumbled a quick hello to them. I've never actually talked to them, our paths have never crossed. They were what some considered 'nerds'. I don't think that though. I mean, I don't know the guys, how could I judge them?

That's another thing I hate: stereotypes.

How could you label someone you don't know? Why does doing one thing automatically put them into a category? You don't know the person, how could you judge them? Just because Andrew likes his hipster-like glasses, and Kyle can't go a day without plaid, and Maxwell always has his suspenders on, doesn't mean that they're nerds. Even if they are, who cares?

Anyways, I took a seat in the spot I really like; 2nd aisle, 2nd row, left seat. The desks were lined up in pairs, and there were four aisles. The three guys looked at me as I took my seat. I guess it was kind of strange, I had the whole room, and I took a seat an aisle away from them. But, it was the perfect seat. Right in the middle, so I could see the board perfectly. Near the front, so I could hear the teacher at all times. I liked it.

I dug through my bag looking for my pencil, but I couldn't find it. I sighed slightly as I turned to look at the clock hanging in the class. I didn't have enough time to go grab it.

"Hey, Maxwell, do you happen to have a pencil I could borrow?" I asked him.

All the guys turned their heads around. Kyle had his eyebrows slightly raised.

"Um, ya, sure." Maxwell mumbled, looking through his bag.

"Here." he said, holding a pencil out.

"Thanks." I smiled, taking it from him.

The teacher walked in right after that.

"Nice to see a few students show up early." the teacher, Mr. Boyd, said to us.

"How many kids are going to be in this class?" Andrew asked him.

Mr.Boyd checked his attendance list.

"Only 18." he stated.

Andrew nodded his head slightly. The bell rang moments after, and soon the students started walking in. I wasn't surprised to hear that only 18 students were taking the class. I know as a fact most kids were happy that they had a choice to take math in grade 12. But then again, our school was much smaller than the average high school. Only about 600 kids in the whole school, and my year was the smallest out of the four. So 18 people in a math class is pretty good. Plus, the smaller the class, the better it is.

Once everyone was sitting in their seats, Mr.Boyd began his class.

~~~~~~~

Once again, Carly was driving me home from school.

"Guess who I have a project with in my Writer's class?!" Carly asked me enthusiastically.

"I don't know... Thomas?" I teased. "How about Vanessa? Steph?"