Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"I'm afraid that won't be possible Erebus. None of us will allow you to face this alone" Aspen avowed rather forcefully. The others nodded their heads in agreement.

"No. I have brought this threat to the kingdom and I will dismantle it. I will not have any of my family harmed. You all are everything I have, I couldn't bear to think what would happen to any of you." I ordered fiercely. "I am disposable, not even supposed to be here in the first place. I refuse to endanger the very people who saved me long ago. It is my duty to protect the kingdom, and I will hold through with that vow indefinitely."

"And it is our duty to protect you, my King. You are a part of the family, and as important as anyone else" Asmodeus countered. "None of us could willing let you walk into danger Erebus" Melchior added.

"Asmodeus, send two-thirds of the guards to protect Lamia, the rest may stay to protect the castle" Damian ordered as Asmodeus nodded, leaving promptly. I turned to face my advisors, still shell-shocked. Taking a deep breath, I mentally prepared myself. "I must go prepare" I informed my family. "Barricade all windows and entrances, everyone who cannot fight must retreat to the underground."

Turning on my heel, I silently left the room. My mind whirled at the situation at hand. Was ma Lumiere hurt? Every step I took, the worry burned deeper and deeper in my heart, the darkness rising.

It clawed at my insides, pleading for a release. I didn't know what it was. It had always seemed like a part of me, something at the back of my mind. Recently, It has become almost unbearable. I had never told a soul about it either, there was already enough wrong with me.

Sliding open my armoire, I started to pull on my armor. Sliding on my chest plate, I ran a hand through my hair. If I was going to let these pitiful humans invade my castle and potentially harm my people, I wanted to look my part. I wanted to show them the king I am.

I picked up the crown in my hands, the feeling of uncertainty rising. I never wore my crown, I viewed it as a symbol of supremacy; which I lacked in every way. Sliding the ring of gold onto my head, I glanced in one of my hand mirrors.

I looked every part the dominant sovereign that I abhorred so much.

Sighing, I placed the mirror down. It was time I started acting like a true leader instead of the scared fool I felt like, in order to protect my family. To protect them, I would do anything, even if that meant unleashing the darkness living deep down inside me.

~

"We will let them find us. Let them observe the castle, then we will ambush them inside. We know these walls better than any human. Do not attack unless I give word. Injure, not kill- these humans are much more vulnerable than us. We must use our most powerful weapons, our fangs" I ordered striding over to my throne. I watched as my people's eyes flashed, easily adapting to see clearly in this darkness.

"Now we wait, my family" my voice wavered as I sat down on the throne, the darkness of the room wrapping around me. The pungent scent of the humans nearing overcome my senses. Leaning back in my throne, I exhale nervously. "We will stand beside you as always, my friend" Asmodeus reassured me. I still felt the worry building inside me.

I sensed them long before they had reached the doors of the castle. My family hid in the darkness, flanking both sides of the throne. I sat on my throne, illuminated in the moonlight streaming in from the balcony behind me. Deep down, I hoped that my Adrienne was safe, away from these humans. When they entered, the only thing that their terrible human eyes will be able to see is me. It will give us the element of surprise.

BOOM!

The doors of the castle were busted open as the glow from torches entered the room. I composed my expression into a mask of indifference as I spotted Abigor leading the pack.