XVI

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

Erebus's POV
Later that night

Knock Knock!

"Come in" I answered. "King Erebus, this basket was found in the forest along with one of your capes" One of my soldiers informed me.

"Let's see" I motioned for him to bring the basket to me as I straightened on my chaise. The soldier handed me my cloak and the basket before bowing, then leaving. I flung the cloak on my bed and lifted open the cover of the basket. Inside was a red messily knitted scarf and a note.
Taking the piece of paper in my hand, I tore the seal.

To my angel,

Thank you for helping me the other night. I was so lost in the huge forest, yet you helped me. As my way of saying thank you, I knitted you this scarf. I really hope you like it. There was a vendor on town selling this wool and as soon as I saw it, I thought of you. I hope you like red. I think so because your beautiful cloak is red and black. It is too beautiful to give to someone like me so I've returned it. I hope you recieve this and thank you again.

Love, Adrienne

The little girl returned to the forest, to give me this!? "Adrienne" I murmured quietly to myself, liking the sound of the name on my tongue. "Something tells me little Adrienne will keep returning to the forest" I thought bemused. Holding up the scarf Adrienne made, I smiled at the loopy uneven knitting. No human had ever given me a present before.

Scarf in hand, I walked over to my bed. Laying the scarf beside the cloak, I headed to my office, a small smile on my face. Perhaps I would give little Adrienne a present as well.

The Next Morning
Adrienne's POV

"ARGHHH" I groaned, clutching my head as the rays of sunlight snuck in through the window. Groaning as I dragged myself out of bed, I hobbled over to my wardrobe. Pulling on one of my day dresses, I walked downstairs to find I was actually early this morning. I hated this yellow day dress, it was so uncomfortable especially so early in the morning.

"It's nice to see you not late for once Adrienne" my mother retorted apon seeing me. "Hello Mother" I answered back somewhat politely. "Please carry this into the dining room, and please be careful" my mother asked me, handing me a crystal bowl filled with fruit."Okay" I answered, walking into the dining room as carefully as I could. Elizabeth and Marie rushed past me, shoving me causing the crystal to wobble in my hands.

CRASH!
I

t almost happened in slow motion, the bowl tipping out of my hands and falling slowly to the floor, fruit tumbling everywhere."ADRIENNE"! I heard my mother's furious voice combined with my sister's smothered giggles. I heard my fathers clunky footsteps echo down the stairs and inhaled quickly. I was in for it now.

"YOUR MOTHER ASKED YOU TO DO ONE THING! CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT" My father bellowed, a livid expression on his face. I bent to begin picking the fruit up but was interrupted by my mother. "I think you've done enough damage this morning Adrienne. Just leave!" my mother ordered, her voice dripping with raw anger.

I hurried from the room, as my eyesight blurred by silent tears. I ran from my house to the only place in Asteaia where I sought comfort (other than the forest on the outskirts). Entering the library, I marveled at the smell of books and the comfy worn sofas and chairs.