After examining the menu for a few minutes, I call for the waiter.

"I'll have a chicken barbeque and mushroom soup side. And a lot of extra barbeque sauce please." I happily tell the waiter. He turns to my companion to take her order.

"I'll have a medium-rare rib-eye steak with roasted garlic lemon broccoli side," Gray states. The waiter repeats our orders and leaves us alone.

There weren't many people eating so the place was unusually quiet. I decide to break the silence. "Are you really not going to talk to me?"

"There's nothing to talk about," she says casually.

"We should at least talk to each other, we're going to be partners for the whole year after all. How about this, let's ask each other questions in turn. You can go first." I grin at her.

"I'm not interested," she responds. I was kind of expecting that.

"I am so I'll go first. Are you single?"

That catches her off-guard. She raises an eyebrow at me before replying, "That's none of your business."

I smirk. "So you're in a relationship. If you were single you would've just said so. Is that the reason why you've been rejecting everyone who confesses to you?"

"Stop making things up, I'm single," she admits before rolling her eyes at me.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?" I asked curiously.

"Nope."

I narrow my eyes at her, "Really? Never?"

She nods once, "Never."

Our conversation was shortly interrupted when our orders arrived. I mumble a "thank you" before dismissing the waiter.

"Does you not having a boyfriend have anything to do with you having 3 older brothers?" I continue interrogating her.

She scoffs. "As if. I don't let anyone decide what I want to do with my life."

I take a bite of my food before proceeding to my next question. "Why do you distance yourself from everyone?"

"Why do you ask so many questions?" she asks, annoyed.

I lean forward, "I'm curious," I say looking into those deep gray eyes. "And you said you weren't interested."

"That doesn't mean I have to answer every question you throw at me." She slices a portion of her steak. "It's unfair if you're the only one asking questions so I'll play along."

"Shoot," I make a go-ahead gesture with my hand, urging her to ask.

She thinks for a moment before asking, "You aren't fully American, are you? Sometimes your accent is different. And I hear you speak a different language."

I chuckle. "I'm surprised you noticed. My mom's a Filipina. I was born and raised in the Philippines. We moved here when I was, I don't know, 14 maybe? I can't remember. But I got here freshman year." I explain.

She nods her head slowly, satisfied with my answer. "Why did you move here?" She follows.

"It was always the plan. Pops wanted us to live here when we grew up." I say a matter of factly.

"Do you ever miss it there?" She asks softly.

"A little," I tell her, not wanting to explain any further.

The night went off with us asking and answering questions. But I felt like even if we continued talking for hours I still wouldn't feel closer to her at all. She has built a wall around her that doesn't allow anyone to get too close. She never answered anything that's related to her feelings. Never said a word about friends, never smiled. Not once. She didn't even seem entertained. It felt like she was just tolerating me for the sake of our paper. I didn't think I'd care at all but it stung. A part of me was hurt.