Chapter 17

Joanna sat in the library, reading Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. The sunlight provided assistance as she read Romeo's words to Juliet on the balcony. She looked up from the book as Beast pushed the door and it opened with a loud creak. Joanna's eyes lit up when she saw him.

"There you are," Beast said.

"You've been looking for me?"

"Yes, I have a surprise for you."

Joanna raised her eyebrows. "Another surprise. What can top the Faie?"

"I was going to wait until your birthday to give it to you," he raised an eyebrow in a playful mischievous manner. "But I can't."

Joanna placed the book beside her. "This sounds really good."

"Come with me."

The duo travelled to the dark wing, which wasn't as dark as before. The curtains were open, letting in the outside light. They made their way to his bedroom door. Beast opened and entered but Joanna stood at the threshold. Beast turned around to her and smiled to himself.

"You can come in, Joanna," he said amused.

Joanna found herself smiling, embarrassed but touched. The room was no longer drowning in darkness or a sea of papers. It was pristine and regal. She saw Beast standing in front of the canvas, its back to her. Joanna walked to the other side. He pointed at the canvas and Joanna's eyes fell upon the subject. Silently, she drew in a deep breath.

Her mother was in front of her, made of paint and canvas. It was so realistic. Her skin was porcelain and rosy. Her heart shaped lips were in a warm smile. Her brunette hair was down and seems to shine. Around her neck was a pendant that Joanna recognized. She placed her fingers on the necklace that Julianna had given her.

"She said she got it from the market," she said to herself, rising emotion began to choke her.

Beast looked over at her and saw the emotion beginning to surface. He looked at the necklace she clasped onto. Joanna looked up at Beast with shiny eyes.

"This was hers, wasn't it?"

Beast hesitated. "Yes."

With a soft exhale, Joanna turned back to the portrait. Her mother continued to stare at her with her blue eyes. They were filled with love and proud. Joanna tried to hold back the sob but it came out anyway. She ran out of the room.

"Joanna," Beast called out to her but she already disappeared into the hallway. He stood there, looking at Hope. This wasn't the reaction he expected. He left and went after her.

Joanna descended down the grand staircase with quick feet. The tears began to escape her eyes and her nose began to run. She wanted to reach the outside before her emotion materialize. Beast reached the top of the stairs and saw Joanna rush to the last step and turned around into the corridor. He sprinted down.

Joanna bursted into the garden, her legs slowing down but her emotions pouring out. Her shoulder heaved at the sniffles. Beast entered; he saw Joanna's back facing him. He quietly treaded toward her.

"Joanna," his voice soft with concern. "What's wrong? If I did anything to hurt you, I'm-"

"No," Joanna shook her head, her voice quivering from the movement and emotion inside. "No, it's not your doing. Not at all." Joanna drifted to the nearby bench and slumped down.

Beast stopped a few inches from her and knelt down in front of her. He regarded her face pointed at the ground. He hoped to find her eyes. Her eyes met his and she took a deep breath.