Chapter 9

In the hillside chateau, Nicholas walked the amazing halls that led to his room. He passed by two pretty maids. He gave them courteous nods as they stopped and curtsied as he passed. He heard faint flirty giggles behind him as he passed. He couldn't help but smile to himself. Out of nowhere, the memory of the red haired Julianna flashed in his mind. She was gorgeous. He wished he got a last name but she was new in the town. He would find her again.

"Nicholas, darling," his mother's voice snapped his thought and he turned to her. Draped in a deep amethyst gown, Duchess Melisande walked towards him with all the air of a proud queen. Her red hair was done up in a bun pinned with pearls and diamonds that winked light.

"Mother."

"Were you out again?"

"The outdoors is more spacious than this house."

"You spend too much time out there."

"We need fresh air, Mother."

She flashed him a look. "You know what I mean."

Nicholas' chest heaved as he inhaled. Ever since Nathan's disappearance, he had spent a lot of his free time in forests all over France. He had dirtied his knees, kneeling down, looking for unnatural footprints. He sniffed the air like a hound, trying to catch the creature's scent. The guards had dragged the many rivers, looking for Nathan's remains.

"I understand your desire for justice and truth in the matter but obsession can cause great strain on the heart. Your uncle-in-law, your future stepfather, has tried all he can to move on."

"He lost his wife and son. You lost your nephew and your sister. Your twin sister. Have you moved on from that? How can you move on from that?"

Melisande just shook her head. Her sister, Mirabel, succumbed to illness a few months before Nathan's disappearance. It was one of the hardest moments in her life. Her husband's death stung but not as great as her sweet sister.

Nicholas placed a hand on hers. "I will try to spend less time in the forest."

Melisande clasped her hand on his. "Good. Oh. Before you retire, Prince Lorenzo wishes to speak to you. He's in the study."

Prince Lorenzo stood at the window with his hands behind his back. He looked at the view of Perenneux below and the Great Pyrenees afar. His native land was not far, bordering on the great mountains.

The door opened and Nicholas walked in.

"Your Highness?" Nicholas said softly, trying not to destroy the deep serenity that claimed the room.

Lorenzo turned to Nicholas and smiled. "Nicholas. There's no need for formality. Come. Sit."

The two men made their way to the throne like seats near the fireplace. They sank down and made themselves comfortable.

"So...what brings me here?"

"I called you here to say that," Lorenzo paused. "I am happy that you have given your benediction on the union of your mother and I."

Nicholas nodded. "I've always considered you a father figure. You always treated me as your own."

Nicholas' father passed on when he was very young. Too young to remember the man that his mother adored and secretly grieved.

"Your father was a good man. Truly. I say it a lot but I mean it with all my heart."

Nicholas nodded again with a smile.

"The reason I called you in here is that once your mother and I are married, you will be my stepson. And as I have no kin," Lorenzo did his best to word his sentence but each variation taunted and reminded him of the fact that his son was gone. "So you will be my heir."

"Heir?"

Lorenzo nodded.

Nicholas, heir to a throne, a kingdom. It was so much better to take in.

"It's a lot, I know."

Nicholas nervously chuckled. "I would be honored, sir."

Lorenzo smiled and extend his hand. Nicholas took it and gave a firm shake.

A/N: Yes, it's short. I got some editing and adding to do. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading.