Chapter 16

Joanna drifted into the garden, holding a green apple. The early afternoon wind played with the free tendrils of her hair. She had slept away the morning hours, undisturbed. The world was warmer and brighter than the day before. The memory of yesterday's incident did its best to haunt her as she tried to force its way into her deep unconscious.

Her skirts swept the grass as she ambled to the garden bench. She placed herself on the stone surface and looked around. Her eyes looked in the direction of the hidden door. She would not be using it anytime. She brought the apple to her mouth and began to bite in.

"Joanna."

She whipped her head to the right to see Alistair, smiling and wagging his tail in the air. Warmth radiated from her body as she beamed at the wolf. She dropped to her knees on the ground and opened her arms. Alistair trotted to her and they both melted into each other. His soft fur tickled her face..

"Oh, I'm so happy you're okay."

"Me?" Alistair backed away. His tone was incredulous as the look he gave her. "You're the one who took a bullet."

Joanna looked down. "Foolish, I know."

"Brave was the adjective I had in mind," He bowed his head.

Joanna smiled and took him in another embrace. The pair were unaware of Beast looking at them from the third floor balcony. His heart felt light as he watched them. He had seen humans pillage the fruits of the forest with no respect. He had saved many of its creatures from the greedy grasps of hunters. But Joanna was different. She risked her life for Alistair. She saved him from getting shot.

Alistair heard the approaching footsteps of Beast and turned his head in the direction. Joanna followed to see Beast walking to them, his hands situated behind his back.

"Good afternoon. Alistair." He nodded at Alistair.

The wolf bowed his head. "Your Highness."

Beast looked back at Joanna. "Did you sleep well?"

Joanna nodded. "Yes. Thank you. Did you?"

"Yes," He took a few seconds. "I would like to apologize."

Joanna shifted. "But we already did that."

"Yes, we did but I have to apologize for something else. I believe you were led...by something"

"Something?" Joanna sat down on the bench. With careful steps, he approached her closer.

"I'm sure you have seen or noticed...other strange things around here."

Joanna shook her head. "No." The strange creature on the farmhouse fence came to mind. Beast caught her pondering look.

"You have?"

"I don't know. I saw something back home. Not sure what it was. I heard a little bit of the lore surrounding the forest."

"Strange creatures being sighted? Ghosts disappearing through the trees?"

"Sort of."

Beast stepped closer. She looked up at him. He seemed less intimidating since the hunter situation.

"I have learned living in the forest, that Nature possesses things that don't reveal themselves until a certain time has arrived."

"Such as?"

"Certainty. Trust." Beast looked to the bushes. "It's okay. You can come out now."

Joanna gave him a quizzical look. She looked at Alistair but he gave her a knowing smile. She turned to the bush and saw the green leaves move. A dot of red popped out among the green. It soon blossomed like flower petals. Then yellow sprung forth followed by blue. The whole bush began to spring forth from the bush. The dots then left, dancing in the air. As they floated to Joanna, she noticed they weren't flowers. They were flower heads attached to the tops of humanoid creatures. Joanna's eyes bulged as she looked at the little beings as they gave her shy and curious smiles.

Her eyes shifted back to Beast. "Are they-?"

A smile crept on his leonine face. "What do you think they are?"

She gave a short incredulous laugh, looked back at the creatures. She raised her hand up, facing out. One crowned with a sunflower made her way in the middle of her hand and sat in her palm. Joanna giggled at the brief tickling feeling.

"Faeries," she said breathlessly.

Alistair smiled and looked at Beast who gave a nod. The pixies moved closer to an entranced Joanna, her face beaming brighter than ever before. Faye and Basil entered the garden, watching Joanna. Her eyes lit up when she spotted them.

"Faye, can you believe this?"

Faye smiled widely. "I sure do."

Joanna stood up and spun around. The flower pixies swirled around, synchronizing perfectly with her motions.

"This is amazing."

Beast grinned. "Would you like to be more amazed?"

Joanna looked at Beast, wondering what else he had in store.

Joanna, Beast, Faye, Basil, and Alistair walked through the hallways. Joanna had many questions to which Beast and company answered.

"Most of humankind has lost their connection to Nature." Beast said as he led a curious Joanna down the corridors, Faye, Basil, and Alistair followed behind. "Many of the strange creatures found refuge in the remaining surviving spots of Nature."

"It could be said that is the loss of innocence," Faye added. "But not everyone is the same."

They stopped at the end in front of a pair of large doors of carved mahogany. The relief featured intricate vines blooming with leaves and flowers. Reaching out to grasp the handles, Beast turned to Joanna, engaging her in a fixed gaze that became mutual.

"Yesterday, you opened yourself to injury to protect another, an animal, a creature of Nature. The Faeries saw your act of selflessness. Selflessness leads to trust."

Joanna felt the warm eyes and smiles of the others on her and felt herself grow warm. She was sure her cheeks became glowing roses. Beast faced the doors and pulled them open. A relaxing breeze rushed through before the doors unfolded all the way. In front of them was a closed bridge with rib vaulted ceiling that stretched to a door at the end. Joanna looked at the open arched window and gasped. She ran to the window, taking in the sight. She turned back to Beast and her friends.

"Is this real?"

"It is." Beast assured.

Joanna's eyes looked back, admiring the breathtaking site that was the rest of the Perennial Palace. It looked more like a city. The bridge was just one of many that connected to other huge Gothic style buildings covered in vines and moss that stood situated on cliffs. Some waterfalls sprouted from the cliffs and fell far down into the river. There was a clearer view of the Pyrenees.

From inside the earth came more pixies that flew up to the bridge. Figures emerged from the waterfall mist and drifted, accompanying their supernatural brethren. Joanna stood shocked and excited as the Faie emerged to see her.

Faye leaned in closer to Beast and whispered. "Off to a great start."

Beast didn't respond in any way but he heard her. Much of his attention remained on Joanna, who was forming instant bonds with the Faeries