Little Love

Bjorn could remember the day you'd first met. You had wondered to the farm, lost and unsure how to get back into the heart of the village where you lived. You'd recognised Gyda while coming down the side of the mountain and shyly rushed to her.

You and Gyda were fast friends and alway looked for each other. Your family were pleased that you had befriended the daughter of Lagertha and Ragnar. They had wanted boys. It always irritated Bjorn that they made that clear, even if it painted a unhappy look on your face.

"Why do they do it?" He'd asked Lagertha as she wished him good night.

"Why does who do what?" She asked and stroked his forehead.

"(Y/N)'s parents. They seem to enjoy making her feel bad about not being what they want her to be." Bjorn sighed as she thought over her answer.

"Perhaps they do not see it. It is important for her to be strong and if that is they way they have chosen that is the way it will be." She smiled a little when Bjorn accepted what she said but she knew he'd never be alright with it.

You and Gyda grew together and Bjorn was at the mercy of Ragnar's teasing as he spluttered and blushed when ever you spoke to him. While your parents insisted on teaching you to fight like your brothers, Lagertha was happy to teach you the things she taught Bjorn and Gyda, growing just as fond of you as the rest of her family.

When Gyda became sick you tried to help Lagertha, working as hard as anyone else to help heal the sick. She was grateful for it and advised you until she noticed you were getting sick too.

"You must rest." Lagertha insisted as you held Gyda's clammy hand.

"Rest? She is not a weak little girl." Your mother spat and pushed you to move on and lug a hot bowl of water over to them.

"She is not weak, but she will be if she gets any sicker." Lagertha snapped angrily.

The women had glowered at each other and by the time Gyda had passed you were sick too.

Lagertha found you trying to fish and whisked you into her home, helping you, emotionlessly working to heal you. Bjorn and Ragnar had arrived home, Bjorn was upset and distracted but he didn't say anything as he told you about the things he'd seen, asking Lagertha and Helga everyday if you were better.

You did recover, to Bjorn's delight, weaker and frailer than you'd ever been but you were better. Anyone could see you'd never be a Shieldmaiden. Even with gentle training you struggled to keep up with Lagertha and Bjorn.

You spent most of your days in the warmth of the main hall, listening to Lagertha's stories, learning as much from her as she offered. If anyone in your family asked for you Bjorn and Ragnar were told to tell them she had urgent work for you.

All three Lothbrok's knew if you weren't in the hall you were forced to train. You'd been found by Floki and Ragnar one evening, Shaking and bruised, barely able to walk home from the clearing your family used to train in.

When Aslaug came she could see clearly that you were important to them. She had assumed you were Gyda at first. You'd always been sat at the same table as Ragnar and Lagertha, you were served by their Thrall at the same time as Bjorn.

After Lagertha had left Aslaug kept an eye on you but you were lost in the sea of a new earldom to rule over.