Chapter Twenty

When Simon and I arrived at school Wednesday morning, it seemed to be like an ordinary day. All the other students were carrying on as normal. I didn't know if that was a good sign or not, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. The bell rang for first period and Simon and I went our separate ways.

My first class was history. I sat in the front row, my usual seat. My classmates giggled and whispered to each other as they entered the room. I sighed slinking down in my chair. This was going to be a long day.

Mr. Boone walked into the room putting on his reading glasses. "Take our your homework." He greeted in his usual fashion.

I obeyed and took out my textbook opening it to the appropriate page with the homework questions. I opened my notebook with the answers in it and moved it to the corner of my desk. I wanted to hide it, but my desk was only so big. I looked around the room and none of my classmates were moving.

Mr. Boone looked up from his own textbook at his desk and smiled at me when we made eye contact. Then his gaze scanned the rest of the room and he frowned.

"What's this?" he demanded. He took his glasses off. "Let's go, get your homework out."

Everyone giggled. I sank further into my chair.

Mr. Boone's eyes narrowed and stepped out from behind his desk. He lifted his finger in the air, which made everyone laugh harder when he didn't have anything to say. No words came out of his shocked, gaping mouth.

When the room quieted down, he stood in front of my desk looking at me. "Ms. Smith, please tell me you have your homework done."

I slowly nodded pushing my textbook and notebook in his direction. I really didn't want any attention on me though.

He smiled. "Thank you, Roxana."

Mr. Boone moved on and pointed to Tom in the back of the class. "Mr. Jenkins, do you have your homework done?"

"Nope," Tom snickered.

"And why not?"

"I didn't want to."

Mr. Boone glared at him and moved onto the next kid. He asked the same question and everyone gave him the same answer. I wasn't sure if he was hoping someone else had done their work like me or if he was stalling for time to figure out what to do about it.

He ended up wasting the entire class time. When the bell rang, Mr. Boone turned his back on us and went next door. I assumed he was going to talk to his fellow history teachers about it. Everyone, myself included, packed up and ran out into the hall.

My next class was math, which I wasn't looking forward to. I had come to realize that as the day went on, the teachers were going to get more suspicious. Once one kid in my math class didn't have their homework, my teacher would immediately know what was going on.

Once we were all settled in our seats, Mrs. Moore stood in the front of the room with her hands on her hips.

"Get out your homework. Now." She ordered. Oh, yeah. She definitely knew what was coming.

No one moved except for me. I opened my notebook and took out the two worksheets we had.

She sighed. "What is going on with you guys? Do you think that just because it's the last week of school you get to slack off?"

No one laughed out loud – probably because Mrs. Moore was meaner than Mr. Boone and, if I'm honest, the kids in my math class were wimpier compared to the kids in my history class.