Chapter Twelve

February had arrived and, as the shortest month of the year, it was going pretty fast.

"So, Valentine's Day is in a week," Brad said sliding onto the bench at our lunch table. He pressed against me kissing my cheek and wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"So it is," I muttered taking another bite of my sandwich.

I had to admit, Brad was making a little more of an effort since we got into that argument. I was still angry at him though. Aside from him talking to me a little more in school, nothing had really changed.

Valentine's was always one of my favorite days because Brad had always planned something special. It was even better than my birthday. He really knew how to show how much he cared for me and I wondered if this year would be any different. No matter what he did though, I wasn't getting my hopes up.

"You don't sound very excited," Brad said disappointedly. He slid his arm off me and pouted.

"I don't know what to think, that's all." I shrugged. I shifted my gaze to look up and, of course, all our friends were watching. I sighed. I didn't want to have this conversation here and now.

"Think about what? It's Valentine's Day. I plan something awesome and you sit back and relax." Brad asked genuinely confused.

The twins and Bella were frozen in their seats staring at the two of us. Simon ate small bites of his lunch with his head bowed down making it obvious he was trying not to be nosy.

"Why would one holiday change the way things have been this year?" I commented. I put my sandwich down and turned to look Brad in the eye.

"It's tradition." Brad nodded.

"That's the only reason? It's not because you love or miss me?"

He sighed. "I've been busy with stuff. We've talked about this."

I shot him a glare and turned back to my lunch. I was beginning to lose my appetite but anything was better than looking at him.

"Are you saying you want to break up with me?" Brad asked. I glanced at him and now his eyes were narrowed at me.

I shrugged. I thought the answer was yes, but I wanted it to be no for some reason. Either way, my voice wasn't working.

"How can you leave me single for Valentine's Day?"

Now I definitely knew the answer.

I stood up from the table, packing my things but not bothering to throw away my lunch. Our friends leaned back in their own seats watching, holding their breaths. Even Simon was staring now. I walked away.

"Where are you going?" Brad called impatiently.

I looked over my shoulder. "We're done," I said simply and walked away.