7.

"Good morning." I greeted the employees as I continued counting the till, grunts and mornings followed before I looked up at the ceiling mouthing: why?
"Don't get yourself twisted up." Marcus teased, standing across from me at the counter.
"Good morning, Marcus." I coo'ed
"Good morning, boss lady." He smirked, playfully.
"Listen, about last night-"
"You don't have to explain yourself to me, Naomi, but I was just wondering what you were doing after your shift?" He said quietly, keeping an eye on that backroom door before the rest of the employees joined us.
"What did you have in mind?" I asked, smiling softly, matching his tone.
"Let's get a drink, there's this place about 11 miles from here by the beach-"
"A beach?" I widened my eyes, teasing him.
"They have the best flavored lemonades." He explained and I laughed slightly pushing my hair off my shoulder. "Come on, good drinks, good views... good company." His hand walked over to mine on my edge of the counter, his fingertips brushing mine.
"I can clear my schedule." I promise, trying to hide my school girl smile.
"Good," he nodded, walking towards the back room, "it's a date."
"It's not!" I pressed, shaking my head, but unable to hide my smile, and he rolled his eyes giggling.
"Yeah, it's not." He put air quotes around it, mocking me.
He's good, he's real good...

***

My last interview got done early, and I gathered all the applicants work in my folder and brought it back into the office.
I looked at my desk, noticing a bouquet of white and red roses, and a note.
I looked back, seeing if anyone in particular was watching but Marcus should've gone an hour ago...
I sat down in the chair and pulled myself to the desk, grabbing the card from inside the bouquet, taking a quick smell of the one closest to my face and read it to myself.
Look inside your purse.
It read.
I looked around me slowly, slightly confused and uncomfortable with the card before unlocking the desk drawer and pulling it out, grabbing my bag and opening it on my desk.
A larger envelope was stuffed in my bag, and I pulled it out seeing my name scribbled out in a familiar handwriting.
"Of course." I cursed, ripping it open quickly and pulling a card out.

Dear Naomi,

I need to talk to you.
Privately.

Oscar.

Riveting.
I shoved it back into my bag, rubbing my hands over my face quickly.
I looked at the time and decided I should just come finish this tomorrow.
I grabbed the flowers, locking the office door behind me, and walked to my car, setting them carefully in my passenger seat as I filed in.
The drive was short, but felt like forever with one hand on the wheel one hand on the vase.
I quickly pulled into the driveway seeing Marcus' Cadillac out front.
I struggle to carry everything, but once inside I saw Marcus run to alleviate some of weight from my arms.
"Thanks." I smiled at him as he followed me to the kitchen. I set the applicant information on the counter along with my keys and phone as Marcus set down my vase and purse.
"No problem." He assured, with a quick nod, still examining the flowers.
"I'm gonna go change." I tell him beginning to walk to my bedroom, pulling my hair down and shaking it out.
I grabbed a pair of jeans and a white tank top, tucking it in quickly, before throwing my hair back and looking in the mirror. I went to my vanity and saw those stupid fucking raybans still sitting there and I quickly threw them in my drawer out of my sight.
I grabbed my brown lip liner and outlined my lips before adding lipgloss. I smacked my lips together before grabbing my own pair of sunglasses and walking back out to Marcus.
"Who gave you these roses with the creepy note?"
"It is pretty gross huh..." I agree, standing across from him at the island, reaching for the place card and pulling it out.
"Is it that guy? What's his name, Spooky?"
"Who's Spooky?" I laughed confused, as he looked at me with a furrowed brow.
"That guy you were dancing with last night... his name is Spooky." He clarified.
"Oscar? Like cholo Oscar?" I pressed, still confused.
"Yeah, his street name is Spooky."
"Ew, listen I don't know anything about that, but let's forget about him for today." I walked around the island and stood before him. I fixed this sleeve of his polo, before resting my hand there. "I'm a little thirsty." I shrug and he smirked widely.
"You are, huh?" He put his large hand in my hip pulling me tightly against him.
"I am, so who's driving?" I poked his chest pushing myself from his grip, putting my bag across my body and sliding my phone in my purse.
"I'll drive." He said almost as a duh.
He walked ahead of me opening the door and letting me go through before he followed behind. I locked the door behind us as I saw Jamal pull up on his bike, dropping it quickly in his front lawn.
"Hey." I greeted as he sprinted past me.
"Gonna. Pee. Gotta. Go." He fumbled with the lock, rushing inside.
"Okay, see you later." I assured although I don't think he heard me.
"He's kind of a spaz..." Marcus commented and I turned around seeing him holding the door open for me and I shook my head with a wide smile.
"Yeah, to say the least." I agreed, sitting down as he shut the door walking around to the drivers side.
"Ready?" He asked pushing the button bringing his car to life.
"Of course, Marcus." I reached over squeezing his shoulder before buckling up and he did the same.
The ride over was tolerable, his phone was hooked up and his playlist was on but I didn't pay attention to the music. The car ride between us was mainly silent, nothing I couldn't handle but I think we were both nervous.
"Let's walk through the beach." He suggested and I nodded, getting up out of the car before he came to my door and I met him at the nose of his car.
"It's a nice day." I say out loud, inhaling the salty air. "That heatwave was brutal." I continued, opening my eyes and seeing him stand before me now.
"Yeah, it was a scorcher." He tried to hold back laughter.
"What?"
"I don't know, you make me feel like a kid." He admitted and I rolled my eyes.
"Don't get soft on me, big guy." I put a hand in his chest, measuring a fourth of arm space between and by the moment it was closed as he leaned into me. I was leaning against his SUV now and he was looking me in the eye, contently.
"You ready?" He asked, his breath was minty at such a close proximity.
I couldn't even speak for a moment, so I nodded.
He grabbed my hand as we walked over a small hill leading to the beach.
I stopped before we stepped into the sand and pulled my shoes off holding them in my hand as the warm sand smushed beneath my feet.
"I haven't been to a beach in years it feels like..."
"Really?" He asked, in shock.
"I've been putting in work, Marcus." I remind and he nodded.
"Yeah, I suppose you have." He agreed and I smiled up at him.
"Thanks for bringing me." I continued and he looked at me now.
"Of course." He assured, giving my hand a squeeze.
"How's work?" I asked, genuinely curious.
He's a program developer and runs multiple apps. He doesn't work at the office much, and neither do his employees. Giving him lots of time off, lucky him.
"Good, some new projects are in the works which is exciting."
"I bet." I try to agree although I cannot relate at all.
"You tryna get a job with me?" He suggested, pointing at me curiously.
"I don't know shit about programming." I laughed out loud, seeing him smack his lips as if to say damn.
He led us up towards the sidewalk and what I assumed would be the cafe. We walked to a table and he pulled a chair out for me as a server came over promptly.
I looked at him for a suggestion before she spoke and he smiled.
"Hi guys, what can I get for you?" She greeted and we both smiled up at her.
"Could we get a drink menu?" He asked and she nodded reaching into her pocket for the laminated tab.
"This side is alcoholic and the other side is non. I'll go grab some waters while you look it over." She explained before walking off.
"Oo..." I leaned closer to him looking at the drinks and he chuckled putting the menu between us.
"This is the lemonade I was telling you about." He pointed to one of the drinks.
"Mango agave lemonade?" I repeated and he nodded.
"It's so good." He continued and I smiled.
"Okay," I shrugged as the waitress came back with waters.
"Have you had a chance to look over the menu?"
"Yes, we're gonna do the Mango Agave lemonades, and chips and salsa." I order for us and he smirked watching me.
"Is that all?"
"Yes m'am." I nodded pulling the menu from Marcus' hand and giving it to her.
"Awesome, I'll bring that out as soon as possible." She assured.
"Thank you." I praised.
"Chips and salsa, nice touch."
"Mhm." I nodded, sitting back in my seat for a moment.
"Naomi." He started after a small comfortable silence.
"Yeah." I sat foreword putting my chin in the palm of my hand.
"I could take care of you." He spoke under his breath for only me to hear.
"What..." I said softly, confused.
"You can transfer out here, live with me, I'll support you, I promise."
"Marcus-"
"Naomi, come on." He sat back spreading his arms wide gesturing something bigger than us. "It makes sense to me. Ever since we met we've been nice, we've been good." He explained and I put my hands in my lap now seeing our drinks and snack brought to our table.
"Thank you." I praised as she set it between us.
"I'll check on you two later." She promised, walking off again.
"But we're grown, we've been grown." He continued. "We can make this into something more."
"Marcus-"
"And we can have more." He interrupted me, grabbing my hand in his. "Lemme show you the man you deserve, no more messing with lame guys. You got me now."