Aliens

Mount Justice
October 16

"Snow, how are you feeling?" I ask, putting a hand to her forehead.

Her forehead was warm, a very good sign in this case. She smiled, sitting up.

"I should be asking you that. I'm the one that nearly froze you to death"

"But you're the one who nearly turned into ice"

Wally raced into the room, running as fast as he could to the bedside. Snow and I both raised an eyebrow.

"Why are you in such a rush?" I ask.

"Are you that happy to see me all better?" Snow asks with a smirk.

"The Justice League is dead," he says shakily.

I nearly jump off of the bed, springing up to stare him straight in the eye. Snow removed the blankets that were covering her legs, shivering at the cold.

"How?"

"Aliens. We're the next line of defence, we're all the world has. We need you two"

"I don't think Snow should be going anywhere"

"Both of you aren't in the proper condition to fight, but we have no choice. We need all the help we can get. We're only sidekicks"

"Snow, can you-"

"I can handle myself just fine. I don't feel like ice anymore, well not it the way where I was almost turning into ice"

She runs out of the room, determination set on her face. I look at Wally, my eyebrows furrowing together, my mouth in a frown. His face was neutral, but I could tell he wasn't liking this scenario anymore than I was.

"Are we going to go back to the team?" I ask him. "We shouldn't be standing around if we have to worry about a big threat like this"

"First, I..."

"If you're going to tell me something it has to be quick. We could die at any moment"

"Never mind. We'll get through this, and I'll tell you then"

"Wait, if you aren't going to say something then I am. I want to thank you, for believing I could change and be good when all I knew was being evil. You didn't judge me, hate me, you didn't change when it came to me. Thank you for helping me"

He stared at me for a minute, looking directly into my eyes. He came closer to me, putting a hand on my cheek, then he pushed his lips against mine. I gasped a little, not expecting it, but closed my eyes. This felt a lot nicer than when we accidentally kissed after I saved him from drowning in the pool. This time, when we weren't in the middle of a mission, I didn't feel like slapping him for trying something.

He pulled away, picking me up and sped me out towards where the bioship was docked. My cheeks were probably red, but his were too. We passed Robin dragging my sister in the same direction we were headed.

We flew towards the icy landscape where he fortress was. There was one alien ship just outside of it. Miss M got rid of the communications, and Artemis sealed off the eye, making it shoot wildly. Aqualad jumped in, with some help from Superboy and Wolf when he was about to be shot.

When Superboy tried to remove the scorpion like cannon Wolf jumped in the way, getting shot by some feedback instead of Superboy. Wolf was gone.

"Wolf," Miss M said.

"Can't do anything for him now," Superboy said.

I raise an eyebrow, seeing something wrong with that picture. What kind of reaction was that? It was odd, seeing Conner not say anything more than 'can't do anything for him now' at the death of his friend. Superboy went back to removing the gun. They brought it over to the bioship where they connected it.

"Does nobody else think this is very unrealistic?" I ask.

"No, it's just you," Snow tells me.

"Rerouting systems to integrate weapon into ship's biomatrix," she told us. "We'll need to decamouflage for a few minutes"

"May not have a few minutes," Robin says.

"Miss Martian, open fire," Aqualad orders.

"Can't, weapon systems are offline to incorporate the new cannon. And that's not fully integrated yet, either," Miss M told him.

"Everyone get into the ship, I got this," I tell them.

I make two fireballs appear in my hands, but they were big, bigger than I could have normally made. I threw one at each of the ships, making them crash. But one still had an active cannon, attempting to shoot me. I made a shield of fire, blocking the laser for a little bit, until the shield was disintegrated. I got hit, not enough to make me disintegrate, but enough to slowly kill me, before Aqualad took out the ship. I fell to the ground as Kid Flash raced over to me.

"Amber!" Miss M screams.

"No, she can't..." I heard Snow say.

"They're dead, every last one of them. If it's the last thing I do," Wally growled, kneeling beside me.

"Calm down, the team needs you to be strong. You can't let me keep you from saving the world"

"But I-I wasn't fast enough," he stammered.

I put a hand on his cheek. "There are some things that are faster than you"

"No there isn't"

"Lives come and go so quickly, not even you can see it happen"