"No." I stopped him, feeling my own face contort into one of despair.

"Irene." He raised an eyebrow at me.

"You did not already say yes." I felt the tears well in my eyes.

His face mirrored mine, sadness and what was probably regret on his features.

"Jay, you've only been back a week, and you're leaving again?" I cried.

"Irene, I didn't think it would upset you so much." He pulled me to him, hugging me.

I slumped against him and whimpered. If he was going, he was taking me with him. I would guilt him into it if I had to.

"Irene, I'm so sorry." He mumbled, rubbing circles on my back.

I curled up tighter. "James, please don't leave me."

"Bitsy, I-I..." He trailed off.

I pulled back far enough to look up at him.

"Take me with you." I urged with tear-stained cheeks.

He met my eye, which was a mistake on his part. I frowned again, letting my shoulders drop. He sighed through his nose before finally breaking.

"Fine. I'll tell them you're good with jungles and animals." He let his hand drop on the bed.

"And?" I smiled a little.

"And that we're a package deal." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I threw myself at him, hugging him tightly.

He hugged back with a grunt, taken off guard by my excitement.

"We're leaving in a few hours, so pack up whatever's lying around."

I finally pulled away from the hug, ready to shove my toothbrush and two books into the bag.

"And the island might be extremely dangerous. So when we get there, stick to me, okay?" He was serious about that part, because he grabbed my hand and practically made me promise.

I nodded. "Okay."

He broke into a smile. "Now pack and get some sleep, I have a feeling you aren't going to like the plane ride."

BANGKOK, THAILAND

"James Conrad. This is my younger sister Irene. I need her skill for the biological aspect of tracking." James spoke to the blond man in a Landsat uniform.

"Oh, no. You can't bring her with you." The man answered rather snarky.

"I don't think you understand. We're a package deal. If she can't go, you don't get me." James reached back to grab my hand, which I gladly gave with a squeeze.

The man eyed me before sighing. "Fine, whatever. You take responsibility for her."

James scoffed. "Of course I will. She's my sister."

The man rolled his eyes, but James just pulled me past, pushing me ahead of him and holding onto my hand.

"Jay, I don't know which way we're going." I mumbled back over my shoulder.

He pointed ahead, "Follow the soldiers."

I caught sight of who he was talking about, the group of tall men dressed in army green. I followed loosely, but I stopped when they did. I looked back at James, then to the man that was standing at the start of the boat's ramp.

James took my hand again, this time leading the way. I stood off to his side as we waited for the men to finish talking to him. As they began to walk away, and James approached the man, one of their hats fell to the ground. I bent down to pick it up before the wind could take it away. I realized how close I was to the guy who's hat it was once I stood up. I bit my lip, suddenly anxious.