Fourteen

CW: SEXUAL ASSAULT & VIOLENCE

"I can't believe you're seriously following me to school," Niall mutters, hoisting his bag higher up on his shoulder. Louis is skipping up the stairs to the school doors, clinging to Niall's free hand.

"Yep. I am. And if I see Devin, I'm gonna kick his –"

"Butt," Niall interrupts, glaring at Liam and indicating at Louis with his head.

"I was gonna say butt," Liam grins back, winking at him when Niall's glare deepens.

Niall shakes his head. "Unbelievable."

"Bye, Uncle Li and Uncle Ni!" Louis calls, skipping down the hall to their classroom.

"That kid," Niall sighs, shaking his head fondly. "Can you believe that, like, a week ago they didn't even wanna go to school?"

"I know. Little stinker." Liam has a fond smile on his face, and it goes even fonder when Niall looks up at him.

"You really don't have to stay, you know. Devin probably won't even show up," Niall tells Liam as they walk down the hall to his classroom. "He doesn't show up every day or anything."

"If he's not here, I'll leave and come back at the end of the day." Liam follows Niall into the classroom, watches appreciatively as he puts his bag down and starts to get up the classroom. "Do you need any help?" he asks as Niall starts writing the date on the whiteboard.

Niall snorts. "Please. Your handwriting looks like chicken scratch." He grins over his shoulder as he says it, and something about that snarky expression on his face makes Liam go over and tickle him until he's begging for mercy. "Kidding! I'm kidding!" he pleads, and Liam finally lets him go after leaving a kiss on his nose.

Then there's a knock at the door, and Niall turns, smile falling off his face when he realizes Devin is standing in the doorway.

"Shit," Niall mutters under his breath. He can literally feel Liam's arms tensing under his fingers.

"Devin," Liam hisses, turning to entirely hide Niall behind his body. "Seriously? You can't take no for an answer?"

"Liam, please don't," Niall pleads, tightening his hold on Liam's sleeve. "Not here." Niall can see Liam tightening his jaw, and all he can do is hope Liam can hold it together at least until the end of the day. "Please."

Devin, still standing in the doorway, just winks at Niall and grins lecherously. Nausea builds in Niall's stomach. "I'll see you later then, Niall."

Niall nervously puts a hand over his bruise. It hurts just from thinking about Devin, and just the fear on his face makes Liam lunge at Devin.

"Don't!" Niall shouts, catching Liam's elbow at the last second. Liam tries to yank free, practically seeing red at the delight on Devin's face, but he yanks too hard and his elbow catches Niall right in the nose. All of the rage in Liam's chest immediately disappears at Niall's low curse of pain, and he immediately cups both hands over his nose. Devin slips out as Liam turns to see if he's okay.

"Fuck, sweetheart, I'm so sorry," Liam gasps, horrified to see that Niall's nose is bleeding. "Baby, I'm so, so sorry. I yanked too hard. I would never mean to hurt you..."

"It's okay," Niall says, voice muffled. He winces from the pain.

"Let me see," Liam says gently, pulling Niall's hands down. He lets out a whine from the pain, and Liam hushes him gently before checking to see if it's broken. "It doesn't look too bad, I think it's just a bloody nose."

Niall nods. "I'm okay." He winces again. It hurts, but not unbearably. "Seriously, Li, I'm fine. The kids are gonna be here in a minute, I gotta get the room set up." He grabs a few Kleenex to hold to his face, and Liam stands where he is, just watching. Guilt is spreading through his veins. "I'm okay," Niall says again, much gentler. "I know you didn't mean to."