Day Two: Surving the Party, Matthew and a Sense of What's Right

Start from the beginning

                I paused in the doorway, looking for somewhere that Vincent might be. He wouldn’t be upstairs, there were only bedrooms up there. I would have gone for the obvious and looked in the kitchen, but I went into the living room instead. I looked everywhere, turning around so fast that I thought my head was spinning. I bumped into someone as I walked out of the room, but I didn’t stop to apologise or see who it was. Slightly hazed, I ran down the corridor and straight out of the doors from the kitchen, leading to the garden. 

                Once there, I stopped and looked around. People from all of my classes were walking around in bikini’s and boarder shorts. The music was even louder out around here, more so than inside. The bass shook the water on the tiled patio, which was there as a result of people bombing in the pool. I scanned the crowds of people. There were so many people here, it was amazing if anyone could actually swim in the pool. 

                A girl looked over. She recognised me immediately and waved. I waved back sheepishly at Veronica, a girl from my swim team. I would have asked her if she’d seen Vincent, but I didn’t speak to her much. 

                I felt a hand on the lower of my back. Really low. I turned around, grunting. 

                Matthew smiled at me, trying to look oblivious and innocent. “I thought you weren’t coming tonight.” 

                “I’ve only just arrived.” 

                Matthew rocked on the balls of my feet. “We’ve still got the rest of the night,” he winked suggestively. 

                “I’m only here to pick Vincent up.” 

                Matthew raised an eyebrow. “Really?” he said slowly. 

                “Yes,” I hissed. I moved so that he wasn’t touching me anymore. “Where is he?” 

                “I don’t know,” he shrugged. “Have you looked?” 

                “I am looking,” I replied, rolling my eyes. I took a few more steps away from him, towards the other end of the garden. I watched my step, looking out not to slip on water. From the corner of my eye, I saw Matthew follow me. I stopped still.

                “Don’t follow me.” I ordered. 

                Matthew held up his hands. “Fine.” 

                I turned around again, taking bigger strides. I practically battled my way through a group of people standing, drinking together. One of the girls turned to look at me, disgusted, obviously not liking my attire. But who cares? Life isn’t about looks. The rest of the group were debating things, but I wasn’t listening. 

                I frowned. Great. All of a sudden, all that was in front of me was a few trees and a picket fence with rough bushes behind it. They weren’t territory of the house owners, though, as they were on the wrong side of the fence. So they were left there, untamed. 

                Just as I was about to turn around to go back into the house, something caught my eye. Someone with lush dark hair bent over, trying to aim at the ground as they vomited. 

                “Vincent?” I called, frowning as I leaned to the right slightly, trying to get a better view of him. 

                Vincent looked up, guiltily. His eyes sparkled, bloodshot and tired. His face was pale.