Day One: Being a Teenager Isn't Always About School

is day one ending?

 "Where are we going?" Vincent asked, frowning. He leaned forward and watched the view as we left our hometown. I hadn't told Vincent where we were going, but I thought, as I left my house, where would I want to go or who would I want to see if I really only had today? OK, I know my family count, but I had a good evening with them yesterday, and I see Imogen, George and certainly Kendal every day. There was someone who I didn't often see, and I wanted too. It was someone who inspired me. It was someone who did what she wanted, when she wanted. It was the one girl I knew who had lived, so far, out of conformity. It was Rebecca.

        "Garrett." I responded nonchalantly. 

        "Garrett?" He echoed. "But... but thats a couple of hours away?"

        "Yeah."

        "What're we going there for?" 

        "We're going to see my friend. Have some fun. Spend the day together. That's better than going to school, isn't it?" I glanced at Vincent, smiling sincerely at him. Let’s not worry about what's going to happen, huh, let's just get through today." 

        "Ok," Vincent replied. "Sure." 

        It took us three hours to get there, which was longer than planned. There was a crash on the freeway, a big pileup. Vincent had fallen asleep, and I hoped it would mean he woke up without a hangover, but I couldn't be sure. 

        I drove passed Garrett lake and down a small slipway. We hadn't seen a shop for a couple of miles, and still had a fair way to go. I was thankful that Vincent wasn't awake because he'd only question why we were here, where we were going, and when would we get to wherever we were going to go. Racing beside us was the side of the lake, hidden behind trees and I knew that we were nearly at her house, because I could see a small cabin beside a cottage in the distance. 

        I knew we should probably have gone to school, because it was the right thing to do. It was a school day, after all. But I just couldn't shake the feeling that theres more to being a teenager than just going to school. To be honest, they don't teach you about the problems in life at school, they just teach you trig and sports. 

        I hadn't seen Rebecca since we were at school together. Freshmen year, we sat next to each other in art and food tech and struck up a friendship right away. Kendal never got on with Rebecca like that. They weren't in the same classes and we were all new to high school. I divided my time between my sister and my friend and Kendal wasn't used to that. 

        Still, Rebecca left at the end of Sophomore year. She dropped out, and moved in with her father, here. He lived with his wife in the cottage and Rebecca moved in with Joseph in the cabin. I remembered Rebecca telling me that she was leaving school, dropping out and moving out here. I thought she was kidding, at first. I thought her reason was a joke. Until she showed me the evidence. 

        Vincent stirred. 

        I turned to look at him, slowing down as we approached the cottage. "Hey," I said softly. "How're you feeling?" 

        "Alright." He replied groggily. "Where are we?" 

        "We're at my friends. Just arriving now, actually." I parked up next to her fathers old green Chevrolet pickup. 

        "Why are we here?" 

        "We're going to have fun."

        "Yes, but I don't know this person. It's going to suck."