XIII

*****
A/N
Everything I had written and saved away for this book is no longer on my computer and I'm so mad.

It's been forever. I'm so sorry. Every time I sat down to write/update, something happened to stop it and it felt as though the universe was telling me to stop writing. For example when I sat down to write this chapter initially, I ended up going out with my sister briefly and we were in a car accident which meant I was too shaken to continue to write, and then every chapter I had pre written deleted itself so rip me :')

I reactivated Netflix so I can continue to watch Shadowhunters around work and school so yay!

I hope you guys are doing well. :)

*UNEDITED*

*****

Adelaide had been right.

Alec should have known Adelaide's suspicions rarely came without evidence and he'd been stupid to not immediately believe what she'd told him. Of course, Alec had his own theories, theories he'd mentioned to Jace before Adelaide had presented her own similar opinion to him.

Alec had run into the inquisitor near the elevator, whom made it perfectly clear that while the clave didn't agree on executing Valentine immediately, she did, and she was more than willing to take matters into her own hands.

Alec had followed her down into the holding cells, watching warily as Valentine cowered and pleaded for mercy, his wild, wet eyes landing on Alec as though begging for assistance.

Alec's initial gut feeling that something was wrong only intensified as he and Valentine locked gazes.

Alec had been ordered to guard the entrance, a muffled Alexander, please, leaving Valentine's mouth as Alec turned his back on the man. Alec had been battling himself internally, what the hell was he going to do?

'Hello, Alec.' Alec had been startled by the familiar voice as Magnus appeared in front of him, Jace by his side. Alec immediately knew something was wrong by the binds on Jace's wrists.

'Alec, I'm so sorry. You were right, they switched.' The words left Jace's mouth in a rush, pushing Alec to act quickly and without much thought.

Everything seemed to move in a blur from that point. Alec stopped the execution, guilt tugging at his heart as he watched Magnus' face crumple into one of relief. He untied his friend with quick movements, listening into Valentine, Imogen and Jace's conversation all the while.

Alec didn't miss the revelation that Jace was a Herondale, nor did he miss the thinly veiled arrogance on Valentine's borrowed face as he revealed the information to Imogen.

When Valentine and Jace disappeared, Imogen had remained stiff and silent. Alec had informed the woman that he'd take Valentine out of the institute through the tunnels, and that they'd work on getting Jace back immediately.

The woman had said nothing, but given Alec a curt nod.

Alec almost felt sorry for her.

Alec apologised to Magnus as they made their way out of the institute. Magnus had brushed it off, assuring Alec that he understood, though Alec wasn't sure he would if it had been him in Magnus' unfortunate position.

'I suspected but Jace confirmed it, I-'

'Alec, really, it's fine.'

As they'd walked through the tunnels, nearing the end Alec had heard a noise behind them that stopped him in his tracks.

'Al-' Magnus started.

'Shh.' Alec shook his head, wariness filling him.

*****

Adelaide was on a mission.