Six - Fight

Star stood stock-still. She lowered her head and raised her tail, snarling as she pointed her ears forward. Swift stood before her in the exact same position. Alpha Snow sat with her mate on a granite boulder just above them on the hill. She raised her muzzle and gave a sharp bark.

     "Pack! Gather and watch. Swift River, the second rank hunter challenges Shooting Star who holds the first rank. If Swift wins, he will become the highest-ranking hunter and Star will answer to him. If Star wins, she keeps her rank and so does Swift. One wolf will lose their dignity today." At her opening words, Owl and Bone, who were inside their respective dens emerged into the midday light. A small hunting party returned, carrying a single skinny rabbit. When they noticed the challengers, they formed a ragged circle around them.

     She had come back from drinking in the pond when she passed Swift. The wolf had nipped her tail as Star had retreated to the hunter's den. She had spun, snarling, finding him challenging her. His eyes were cold and hungry.

     Star had had to challenge and beat him to gain the highest rank. Now, he was reclaiming his title.

     The light grey she-wolf warily circled her opponent. Alpha Wind watched from beside his mate. Star knew all eyes were on her. Even though she was bigger than Swift, Star knew that today she would lose this battle.

     Swift growled lightly before he jumped. Star nimbly hopped out of the way, returning to walking around him. The gray wolf laughed, mocking her. "Scared, Star?"

     She howled and rushed his side closest to her, the right haunch. She hit her mark but Swift instantly snapped at her exposed neck. She yelped in pain and rolled, kicking out with her legs. He held fast and shook her, so Star decided to wait it out.

     Bad move.

     Her vision soon dissolved, and eventually, her head began to hurt unbearably. She whined and threw her paws out in the direction she thought Swift was in. The shaking stopped – she must have hit him. Star staggered to her feet and let her vision stabilize. Swift was pawing at his face a little way away. She was still dizzy when Swift raised his bruised muzzle and ran at her again.

     Star, unprepared, only had time to rear up before Swift pounced on her. Any gasps or other sounds from outside their scuffle went by unnoticed. She pushed against him and snarled loudly. He retaliated by rolling away and boxing her snout. Star yelped and twisted, dodging his paws as he nearly threw his whole weight on her stomach. She charged and swiped her claws at his ear and neck. He barked in pain and bit her paw as she tried to pull it back. Star yelped again and whined, using all her strength to make him let go. Then she bared her teeth and lunged, snapping at his face. In fear he retracted, then ran away to recover.

     Star smugly barked in laughter, raising her tail, waiting for his losing statement. But none came. Swift grinned toothily at her and panted harshly. "I'm not done yet Star!" He padded at her straight-on, then ran and they both collided. Star used her greater size to her advantage, rising to her full height and bowling him over. She made a move to gorge his stomach but he met her halfway and sank his teeth into her face.

     The metallic scent of blood drifted into her nose. The liquid trickled down into her eyes and blinded her with red. Star shook her head, trying to clean her vision. Swift knocked her over and brought his paws down onto her stomach. All the wind was pushed out her lungs, resulting in an awful choking sound. Star gasped for air and Swift sank his fangs into her neck.

     "S-stop!" Star whined, "I submit!" Swift stayed where he was, not moving, actually biting harder and growling. Alpha Wind leapt to his paws.