0.4. Flashbacks

Chapter 4 - Flashbacks

Leila

  //Flashback// 

I looked down at our entwined fingers.  

“Mark?” I called his name for the second time. 

“Hm?” He glanced at me and squeezed my hand. He had been distracted lately and I felt that it wasn’t a good thing.  

“Are you okay?” I asked him worriedly.  

“Of course I am,” he replied quickly and looked ahead. He was taking me to my favorite restaurant.  

I smiled in relief, but I knew something was going on and he wasn’t telling me. “That’s good, now slow down,” I teased him.  

“Oh, come on. You know I drive safely,” he replied.  

“If by ‘safely’ you mean driving twenty miles over the speed limit then sure.”  

“Hey,” he feigned hurt, “you get to places in one piece, don’t you?”  

I just laughed while he continued to pout.  

After we finished eating, Mark looked even more uncomfortable than before. I was worried because he was usually easy-going and cheerful.  

“Mark, I know something’s up. Just tell me,” I pleaded softly.

 “Leila, babe, nothing is wrong.” 

He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small box and opened it, revealing a beautiful pearl necklace.  

“Happy one year anniversary, Leila. I love you.”  

“Mark, I-,” My words were cut short by my tears of joy, “I love you too,”  

When he reached over to hug me, I said, “Promise that you’ll always be here for me.” I spent nearly my entire child with him, but I knew I was never going to get enough.  

“I promise.”  

The next day, he was gone.  

//End//

 ____________________________________________________________________________ 

The doorbell rang, snapping me out of my trance. I patted my hair down before running over to open it. Part of me was excited to see Mark again, but the other half felt betrayed because of the way he left.  

“Hey,” Mark said as soon as I opened the door. He held out a bouquet of flowers for me, and I bit back a scoff but took it anyway.  

“Is this your way of apologizing?” I opened the door wider to let him in.  

“Kinda, sorta, not really,” he replied situating himself on my couch.  

“Sure,” I mumbled sarcastically, “make yourself at home.” 

I handed him a bottle of water and sat down on the seat opposite of him, eager to hear what he had to say for himself but not willing to show it.  

“Does the rest of Got7 know that you’re here?” I asked to break the silence.  

“Yeah, I told them before I left,” he replied. 

I nodded and we continued to sit awkwardly while he assessed my dorm.  

“Leila, I just wanted to start by saying that I’m sorry,” Mark began, “These past years have been tough for me, not being able to contact you or tell you that I’m currently living in South Korea, training to become and idol. I missed you so much and I hope you’ll come to realize that I didn’t mean any harm to you.”  

I pondered on his explanation. “You told me earlier that you didn’t tell anyone except for close family and friends. Mark, I was your girlfriend. We grew up together. I think I qualify as a close friend, if not family.”  

“I-,” he started to say. 

 “No, that’s fine,” I interrupted him, “the past is the past and you must have had your reasons not to tell me.”  

“I don’t want you to be mad at me,” he said seriously. 

“I’m not mad, just disappointed.”  

He got up from his seat and walked over to me, taking my hand. “Leila, please forgive me.”  

“Okay,” I smiled at him, but I couldn’t make it sincere enough.  

Mark pulled me up into a tight hug and I tapped his shoulder after a few seconds.  

“I can’t breathe,” I said, as he laughed and let me go. 

I opened the door to let him out and he looked at me one last time before heading back to his group’s dorm, “Goodnight Leila.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

The next morning I found myself being dragged to Got7’s practice room by BamBam. Jackson reached us before we got to the room, and high-fived me, “Hey Leila!”  

I smiled, “Good morning, Mr. I can speak five languages.”  

He winked at me, “All the members have eaten breakfast except for me. Want to go get something?” 

I looked at BamBam, who smiled at me, “Go ahead, you must be hungry.” 

I thanked him and turned to Jackson, who was already heading towards the direction of my dorm. “I’ll cook today,” I told him.”  

“Chincha? I haven’t had a home cooked meal in ages.” 

_____________________________________________________________________________

I was currently frying Jackson his third plate of bacon and eggs. “Boy, do you have a big appetite.”  

“Well, being wild and sexy really requires having a lot of energy,” he told me cheekily. 

I rolled my eyes and set the plate in front of him, watching him practically inhale all the food.  

We ended up talking and laughing about random things, and he taught me some words and phrases in different languages. 

“You know,” he said, “you’re probably the prettiest girl I’ve ever met.” I smiled, “Gamsahabnida, but there are a lot of girls that are much prettier.  

“But some of them don’t have great personalities like you do.”  

“Omo, “I joked playfully, “are you hitting on me?” 

He laughed, “If you weren’t Mark’s, then yes, I would be.”  

“I’m not Mark’s,” I scoffed.  

“That’s not what he said.” 

“What do you mean?”  

“Never mind. Forget about it. Let’s go back. I’m late for practice,” he grinned at me.  

I let out a yelp of surprise as I opened the door. If Jackson wasn’t standing behind me to steady me, I would’ve fallen down.  

“M-Mark?” I stuttered stupidly.  

He narrowed his eyes at Jackson’s hand on my arm. “What have you two been doing in here?”  

“Yeah,” I heard another voice say, "What have you two been doing in there?" 

I mentally face palmed myself when I saw who it was. 

“Dad?”

_____________________________________________________________________________

So sorry for making you guys wait for such a long time! I will try to update sooner. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 

Jenny